Can 17" MacBook use 3 DVI and 1 HDMI monitor simultaneously?

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a used 17" MacBook instead of updating my Windows 7 PC. My PC has 3 monitors connected to it and can simultaneously use my HDTV as a fourth monitor. Is this possible with the last generation 17" MacBook Pro or the new generation MacBook Pro?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm considering buying a used 17" MacBook instead of updating my Windows 7 PC. My PC has 3 monitors connected to it and can simultaneously use my HDTV as a fourth monitor. Is this possible with the last generation 17" MacBook Pro or the new generation MacBook Pro?

Just so you know (and in case you didn't know)…Apple has discontinued the 17" MacBook Pro. So the "last generation" and the "new generation" are the same thing. Unless by "new generation MacBook Pro" you mean the the 2012 MacBook Pro's (which there is no 17" MacBook Pro).

In any case…the MacBook Pro's only have one video out port…so too run more than one external monitor with a MacBook Pro…you need some additional hardware.

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Just so you know (and in case you didn't know)…Apple has discontinued the 17" MacBook Pro.
- Nick

Yes, I did know that is why I am considering a used one. What I'm looking for is a desktop replacement that I can occasionally take with me.

In any case…the MacBook Pro's only have one video out port…so too run more than one external monitor with a MacBook Pro…you need some additional hardware.
- Nick

What kind of hardware would allow me to use four external monitors with the 17" MacBook Pro?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes, I did know that is why I am considering a used one.

In case you didn't know…you can still buy the last two generations of the 17" MacBook Pro in the refurbished section of Apple.com.:)

What kind of hardware would allow me to use four external monitors with the 17" MacBook Pro?

Here are two hardware products that will get the job done (but not necessarily inexpensive):

Multi Monitors Adapter for Laptops
USB DISPLAY ADAPTER | USB Video Adapter | USB Wireless Display Adapter BVU195 - Diamond Multimedia

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
I was going to reply in MR but here is my solution..

You should acquaint yourself with the HIS mutiview II..it'll run as many 2048x1152 monitors as you have USB ports. The Driver for ML is decent even in alpha..

OP
F
Reaction score
In case you didn't know…you can still buy the last two generations of the 17" MacBook Pro in the refurbished section of Apple.com.:)

I was aware but thanks for making sure. The initial added expense of entering the Mac world isn't as prohibitive as the added expense on all of the accessories I will have to buy down the road.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.