• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD copy of VHS tape won't play on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I had several old VHS tapes (family movies and such) that I wanted copied to DVD to show at my daughters wedding, so I took them to a local camera shop that does this work and they did a fantastic job of extracting the data to DVD.

I get home an pop it into my iMac and it won't play. So ****** off I put it in my HT Blu-Ray Player and if plays back flawlessly.

Did they do something wrong when they made the copy for me? Should I go back and complain?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did they use normal DVD's to make the copies? You say they play in the BL player, They are not BL disks are they? I have never had that issue with any readable DVD here on my iMac.

Do they have any info on the front of the DVD like what brand and type they are?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
They probably made the copies on Blue Ray disks which will not play in your iMac. You might want to go back and ask them to master them again but this time on ordinary DVDs. Keep the Blue Rays disks, however.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
No they look like plain old DVD, I just tried to play it in my HT which has a BR player. It also plays in a portable DVD player but not on the iMac.

Tom

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My iMAC is factory stock, I thought I was done with needing third party apps to make things work. Guess I can get VLC from the App Store and will try that.

Thanks

Tom

What does OSX do when you insert that DVD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If you were using a stock(store bought) DVD then my guess your Mac would work. VLC will pretty much play any format out there - and there are plenty of 3rd party video formats - so if you want to watch videos from any source - you will never be done with 3rd party software.

I don't believe VLC is available from the App Store. It is open source - which tends to not work with the App Store Licensing. (Someone tried to put it onto iOS and it got pulled by the VLC folks request)
VLC for iOS removed from the App Store (updated) | 9to5Mac
VLC is available at the link I provided.

OP
TomServo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does OSX do when you insert that DVD?

I'm away on a family outing and when I return on Thurs I'll post up a screen shot of the error message.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.