Restoring Entire System Using Timemachine

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been experiencing various stability and reliability issues of late and running Repair Disk Permissions reveal that my HD was corrupt.

So I backed-up my entire system using Timemachine (for the first time) with a view to restoring it intact after reinstalling the OS.

Well the machines up and running and much more responsive. So far so good. But when I selected my HD back-up in Timemachine, hit restore and left it running over night the results have been dumbfounding.

Basically it's restored a few of my many apps (most of which are now non-functioning and will need to be reinstalled), but none of my documents, nor my iTunes or iPhoto libraries. nor any of my settings or even my User folder. BUT, and this is the killer, it has swallowed-up 200Gb + of my HD capacity in order to do so very little!

Now my system back-up was 200GB +, so the numbers add-up if it had indeed restored the entire system.

If I have to just use my Timemachine back-up as a normal back-up and copy all of my stuff back into my cleaned-up MacBook then fine, just put it down to experience... but where's the HD capacity gone?

Any help, or FAQ's you can point me to would be appreciated.

Rab

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 10.6.8

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Usually the cure for a corrupt hard drive is its replacement. Seldom does making a TM backup and then reinstalling OS X and restoring from TM solve the problem. I have no idea if your TM backup was a good one or restoring to a hard drive that still may have errors is the reason the restore is not going well.

Boot the Mac from your install disk and run another check on the hard drive. Also, you might want to download and run the SMART reporter which does a more thorough check on the drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
Many thanks for your input. You're probably right, I should just cut my losses and swap-out the HD - as good an excuse for an upgrade as any.

I'll probably put-up a post in the Hardware forum in the near future and canvas opinion on the latest crop of HDD's on the market.

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.