Back up not working Need help fast!!

Reaction score
I am trying to back up files from my 2010 Macbook pro. I am using Target mode with another macbook (hooking mine up too the other and booting mine up in target mode to acess the files in my Macs hard drive from the other computer. I have my G drive 2 TB external hard drive hooked up to the other computer and when i try to copy the files from my computers HDD to the G drive it says "this file is read and write only" and wont copy the files. My computer wont boot up and ive got to get the files off it so i can put my new hard drive in and not loose everything. Please Help!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to run into permissions problems the way you're trying to backup. Just remove the drive from the computer that won't boot, and either use an adapter or put the drive in an external USB carrier and make the backup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.