Please help. Unable to update to OSX Lion 10.8.1 or Highter

Reaction score
Hi, I am running a MacBook Air 13'' with OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.

However, I have been pulling my hair out trying to update to 10.8.1 or higher!!!

It does not show an update in the APP store. So I go manually to apple.com and download it.

I download it, but it says in the installer;

OSX 10.8.1 cannot be installed on this disk. The disk does not meet the requirements for this update

I tried running disk utility, but it says my disk is ok.

What is the problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots of complaints in the Apple community forums about the same message. One way to resolve it is by downloading the combined update direct and install it that way. You want the ML 10.8.2 combo update. Download from here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hate to suggest this, but at this point I would try a clean install. Boot to your recovery partition, erase the drive, format it, and then download, install ML. Be sure to backup using Time Machine before you erase the drive. Once ML is installed, restore your data from Time Machine. Then try the update to 10.8.2 again.

OP
G
Reaction score
UMM, I really don't know how to do that :(( Where to go...

I think i'll wait till like 10.8.3 and see if that works... :(9

OP
G
Reaction score
Got it solved.

I was running the lion developer version. I bought it way early.

I bought lion again in the app store, and its working all good

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, thanks for posting back. You didn't mention earlier about the developer version or we would have told you it wouldn't work. Glad you got it resolved.

Reaction score
Volume Does Not Meet Requirements

Yeesh!

I had to return a Mac mini after 3 days; bad HDD. Of course, it broke right before I was to do my backup.
I had upgraded to 10.8.2 with no problem on that Mini.

I exchanged the one with the bad drive for a new one. Now, I'm doing the updates. Only thing, I get that dratted message about "Volume does not meet requirements..."

I've tried the combo update, I repaired the disk's permissions. Still see the yellow exclamation point and damned message.
I don't want to buy a new ML update from the App store - 10.8.1 came with this Mini.

What is happening to Apple?

Further info next day (11/19/12):

I tried repairing permissions, repairing the disk, then doing the same steps after rebooting into the Restore Partition.
I then reinstalled 10.8.1 from the Restore Partition.
Same problem and error message.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the machine is new, take it back to Apple. It's not like a Mini is difficult to carry to your local Apple store. Let them resolve it for you.

Reaction score
Resolution of Sorts

Thanks, but...

No need to take it back.

I called Apple Support & "Ervin" said it was a known problem with the<update> not the Mac.

He said wait a few days and a new update would be available.

I'm putting out the word, as Apple doesn't seem to be doing so!

Best Buy is good about exchanges, so if that doesn't happen, I sure will return it.

Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.