LaCie 1TB Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 HD Issues?

Reaction score
I want to be able to do Time Machine backups and restores while traveling. I tried a Thunderbolt drive (which I returned) that generated a lot of heat at the connectors. This caused the drive to get hot. More worrisome was that the connector at the MBA caused the MBA to get hot at that point. The drive was not transferring data, it was just connected.

I am thinking about buying a LaCie 1TB Rugged Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 Hard Drive. Anyone have experience with heat issues with this Thunderbolt drive on a MBA.

Thanks

Mike

OP
M
Reaction score
FYI, a reviewer on the Apple Store site left a 1 star review complaining about the heat problem. Maybe portable Thunderbolt drives have not yet got the technology?

Reaction score
More people are experiencing the same thing, but not to worry...
If the MBA gets too hot, and reaches 100 degrees Celcius or 221 F, it will automatically
shutdown to prevent damage.

SM

OP
M
Reaction score
Except you godda listen to that noisy fan and hope the high temp doesn't fry something before it shuts down. Trade off between higher speed with more heat. I think I'll just stay with USB 2 for a while.

Reaction score
So what was the use of this thread again?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.