Sound out from Thunderbolt Display

PH2

Reaction score
Dear all,

I have a Thunderbolt Display and I am not impressed with the sound. I also have a Logitech Z-5500 Surround System that I would like to connect to my display. The reason why I want to connect it to my display and not directly to my MBP is that the whole point for me in buying this setup is that I use the Thunderbolt Display as docking station for the MBP. I'm in and out of office several times a day - and don't want to mess with cables on/off my MBP - except from the thunderbolt cable.

Thunderbolt Display has: USB, FIrewire, Thunderbolt, 3 X ethernet
Logitech has 2 digital inputs: Coax (SPdif) and Optical (+ 3 minijacks; Front, Rear, Sub/Center)

How do I connect the two?

(I use Time Capsule - and was wondering if I could use that combined with an Apple TV - connecting as follows: Timecapsule ethernet-cabled to the Thunderbolt Display + Timecapsule ethernet-cabled to Apple TV + Apple TV via optical cable to Logitech Surround system - would that work?)

As you can tell - I'm not at all used to this stuff - so answers/suggestions/alternative solutions will be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

BR PH2 (Denmark)

OP
P

PH2

Reaction score
Thunderbolt Display - sound out

Hi all,

Has anyone succeeded in taking sound out from a Thunderbolt Display? And if so - how?
(would like to connect it to digital inputs like coax or optical on ext. surround sys.)

Thanks in advance.

PH2 (Denmark)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Threads merged (same topic)…and thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum (Other Hardware).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
I ended up with a usb DAC and it works well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.