Help making shell script for basic command

Reaction score
I need to make a shell script for a command to create aliases for 500 folders in 500 parent directories. I've found one page that was useful (http://www.alvinpoh.com/how-to-make-and-run-batch-files-in-terminal-in-mac-osx/), however I need to put the aliases on several computers, and once the aliases made with that script are off my computer, the aliases are "dead," due to rights permissions, I assume.

The command works when I copy and paste the commands one by one into Terminal, but I'd rather not do that.

Example of folder structure
server/
.......people/
.............person1/
.............person2/ etc.

Example of command being used
ln -s "/Volumes/server/people/person1" /shortcuts/

Thanks for any help.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
On Linux (that's what I have access to right now) something like this would work
Code:
for dir in `find /Volumes -mindepth 3`; do
    ln -s "$dir " /shortcuts/
done

The mindepth here ensures that you get the "server/people/personX" level. Without that, you end up getting "server" and "server/people" as well which you probably don't want.

If mindepth is supported by OS X's "find", then this script should work..

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks, I see what you're getting at there, but that line of code didn't work. Here's a site with how OS X uses mindepth. Any suggestions how to change it to work? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.