AirPort printer issue, only 1 job then unavailable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, MacBook Pro, iPad, 2 iPhones, a bunch of iPods
I am having a strange problem with my printer and I need some expert advice.

Here is my set-up in basic terms. I have a wireless DSL router that is connect via ethernet cable to iMac(a), also connected via ethernet to that router is an AirPort Extreme, with a USB Printer connected to that (AirPort). In addition, I have another iMac(b), and a MacBook Pro connected to my DSL router wirelessly. Printer is a HP PhotoSmart 3180.

iMac(a) is an older iMac running SnowLeopard
iMac(b) is a newer iMac running Mountain Lion
MacBook Pro is a couple of years old and I just upgraded it to Mountain Lion

I believe all OS's and drivers are up to date.

Now the fun comes that I can print usually only 1 job to the printer (after turning it off and on) from say the MacBook Pro, then the printer can't be found until, I turn the printer on and off again. This seems to also be true of my iMac(b). Again, I have to turn the printer off and on for the printer to be found and actually print, not the router or the AirPort. The AirPort remains visible in the wireless network list.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
Hi, please take a look at this page Gutenprint for Mac OS X

Your problem are the drivers. Apple drivers for HP are not fully functional for some models. Install guterprint drivers and choose their drivers for your printer in settings app. Then just in case reboot the machine and do a test printing with at least 2-3 pages
Tell the result.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The issue is that all the newer printers go to sleep automatically after, typically, 30 minutes of inactivity. You can thank the conservationists. :Angry-Tongue: Then, some of them refuse to wake up when sent a print job depending on what app is sending the print job. I've not found a way to overcome this issue.

I have printers at work that do this with Windows machines - so not really anything to do with Macs in particular - and it is quite annoying. Our $5,000 copier, most of us have gotten into the habit of pushing a button on it every time we walk by so that it's ready to go when we are. If you're sitting next to the printer, press a button on it to wake it prior to sending your print job - best I can suggest.

If the Gutenprint drivers work to fix it with yours, post back and let us know.

edit: and if your issue is immediately after the first print job it can't be found - the above would not be related to your issue.

OP
JS29
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, MacBook Pro, iPad, 2 iPhones, a bunch of iPods
Hi, please take a look at this page Gutenprint for Mac OS X

Your problem are the drivers. Apple drivers for HP are not fully functional for some models. Install guterprint drivers and choose their drivers for your printer in settings app. Then just in case reboot the machine and do a test printing with at least 2-3 pages
Tell the result.

That (GutenPrint Drivers) seems to have done the trick on my desktops and laptop.

Muchas gracias!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
You're welcome.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Going to have to check Gutenprint next time I run into the issue on my Win machines at the office - I forget now which apps I ran into that won't wake our copier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.