iMac G3 only reads some discs??

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just got a Strawberry iMac the other day, and I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it won't read a burnt disc! Ex., a burnt CD with some (legally purchased) music isn't recognized by the computer at all. Although, if I put a driver disc or something like that in, it recognizes it no problem.

Specs:
iMac G3 333mhz,
Mac OS 9.0.4,
256mb RAM,
6.4gb hard drive,
Tray Loading CD ROM drive,
and finally, I'm using CD-RW discs.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and sorry if this is in the wrong section :)

Reaction score
ISO9660 is a format for cross platform CDs.. It does not support long file names or saved directory that are now on most new music CDs. Red Book is the original standard format in which an audio cd must be recorded. A CD recorded in accordance with red book standard can be played in any CD-Player. Just like every thing the industry keeps tweeking and some new CD want play in old Macs. Try to update QuickTime as far as you can for your OS. Use CD-R Disc.

OP
K
Reaction score
Awesome, I'll try to update QuickTime tomorrow. I used the music CD as an example, but the computer fails to recognize any and all burnt discs I've tried so far, be it music or whatever. Any idea what would cause this?

Reaction score
What burning software are you using..on the Mac or on a PC. Use Toast on the Mac.OS disc on the Mac have to be in HFS. HFS CDs can only be recorded in multivolume NOT multisession.

OP
K
Reaction score
I've used both ImgBurn on Windows 7 (for a disc image I was trying) and I've booted into Snow Leopard on my Hackintosh and burnt the same image with the built-in burner using what I thought was the correct format. Oh yeah, I know you mentioned I use CD-R discs instead of CD-RW discs, is that important, or will I be able to get by with CD-RW discs? I don't have any CD-Rs laying around. I'll give Toast a shot after school today.

Reaction score
Thats your issue...The settings on your burn software. Music disc need to be in ISO. A software disc for PPC Mac has to be in HFS. Yes I would use CD-R. RW are rewritable..could be issue with older Macs.

OP
K
Reaction score
I gave up--just too much trouble to go through. I'll just stick with OS 9, which leads me into another question. How do I open smi.bin files? I'd like to be able to update to 9.2 from 9.0.4 and install iTunes 2.0.4..I got the files but I can't figure out how to run them..it treats the .smi files as QuickTime files and when I click them it says QuickTime ran out of memory. I have access to both Windows and Snow Leopard (made myself a Hackintosh) if need be.

Reaction score
In your burning software on the PC...you should be able to create all kinds of disc in different formats from a pull down window. You should be able to burn the OS9 updates to a HFS format CD the Imac can read. On the Mac you would need Unstuffit to open the updates..but they will over whelm the Mac.You have to burn your on CDs . You really need the Disc Images for the OS9 update and create CDs in HFS. Or just buy a retail 9.2 disc...if you can find one.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well, I finally got OS 9.2 and iTunes on it :D, although it required a little workaround. I'd like to get OS X on it, but I cannot, and I mean cannot get this thing to boot from any CD. I got as far os the OS X installer wanting to restart to begin the installation process, and when I do so it reboots and starts booting into OS 9.2!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Has it ever had OS X.2 Jaguar or later installed? if not you must update the firmware whilst running OS 9 and then try to boot and install OS X.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1395

OP
K
Reaction score
As far as I know, it's never had OS X on it, it had OS 9.0.4 when I got it. I ran the firmware update file and it said that the firmware is up-to-date. In case it helps, I've tried booting the CD from Open Firmware and I've gotton a few errors like "read of block0 failed" and "can't open the DIR device".

Reaction score
Click on the apple logo and open system profiler and check that the boot rom is 4.1.9. If you insert the OSX CD (it has to be a retail version..not an upgrade) hold down the option button on restart a window will ask you to select the boot option..CD or Other wise you hold down the C key on start up.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well, there's kind of a disappointing ending to this thread..I was getting ready to try to install OS X again..turned the iMac on, and it would turn on really quick and shut off. So I pulled the board out, reseated the RAM and whatnot, tried it again, and when I turned it on I heard a couple little crackles and it started smelling pretty bad :/. My guess is something that had to do with the display or the PSU, since the smell was coming from there. Ah well, thanks for the help guys, I apreciate the effort!

Reaction score
Well, I finally got OS 9.2 and iTunes on it :D, although it required a little workaround.

The Machine may not be dead. The short come on go off is the sign of the firmware being messed up. Kinda makes a zap sound when you push the on button. Or its the back loop PS. Wait like 2 days and crank the machine again. If it boots up its the firmware messed up. Also try and unplug the HD and see if it starts up to the flashing ? mark. If it does the firmware is messed up.

OP
K
Reaction score
Alright, I'll hang onto it for a few more days..although I'm not holding my breath because I have a feeling something burnt up 0.0

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm shocked, you were right, it's not dead! Plugged it in today and it booted right up. With the hard drive unplugged I get a blinking Mac sign and a ? going back and forth. Also, since it's a tray-loader I think the latest FW version is 3.0, which it says it has, so I don't think that's where the trouble lies. Still can't boot from the CD, holding C at startup doesn't make a difference, and holding Option doesn't bring me to a Startup Menu..it just boots like normal.

Reaction score
Alright, I'll hang onto it for a few more days..although I'm not holding my breath because I have a feeling something burnt up 0.0

Imacs have that smell inside...unless you saw smoke..Try to unhook the hard drive and see if you get a flashing ?...if it still zips it like burnt up. Good Luck.

Reaction score
I'm shocked, you were right, it's not dead! Plugged it in today and it booted right up. With the hard drive unplugged I get a blinking Mac sign and a ? going back and forth. Also, since it's a tray-loader I think the latest FW version is 3.0, which it says it has, so I don't think that's where the trouble lies. Still can't boot from the CD, holding C at startup doesn't make a difference, and holding Option doesn't bring me to a Startup Menu..it just boots like normal.

You should of told us its a try loader. The firmwares messed up, thats why it wouldnt restart. When you installed 9.2 it has to be a universal install or a install for that Imac. Something about the way or the CD you made with the OS9 on it is not right.

check the firmware version in Open Firmware: immediately after powering-on your iMac, hold down the 4 keys: Apple-Option-O-F. At the top of the screen you should see the Boot ROM version and the date. The version numbering is a bit odd. Here are the common firmware versions for the tray-load iMac:

3.0.f3, build date 12/02/98
3.0.f10, build date 03/05/99
3.0.f2, build date 04/23/99 (this is the 1.2 firmware update)
3.0.f3, build date 07/16/99 (if you have this then you are really up-to-date; no further action required!)

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, so I'll start with the CD I made, it appears it was meant for a Power Mac G4, so that probably didn't help, although it installed without any problems. I'll check the firmware soon, I'll update the post as soon as I find out.

Update: OK, looks like it's got version 3.0.f2 build date 4/23/99, so there's 2 out of 2 problems..machine specific OS version and not up-to-date on FW. I can't find the file for version 3.0.f3 or else I would update it..what do you suggest I do from here?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.