iMac G3 only reads some discs??

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok..so before I try to update, is the 1.2 update file under 'Utilities' the right one?

Reaction score
Ok, so I'll start with the CD I made, it appears it was meant for a Power Mac G4, so that probably didn't help, although it installed without any problems.

If its a machine only disc you didnt get all the system stuff for your Imac.

Reaction score
How if it says no update needed. You will need a retail OS 9 disc to take the machine to 9.2.1. That where the point 3 comes from. If you had tried an universal install from the disc you made you would of got the last update to go on to X. If you lived next door we would have this machine fixed.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yep, still says that the FW is up-to-date..so that shouldn't be a problem. Will switching to OS to a retail verison fix the not booting from CD issue?

Reaction score
Yep, still says that the FW is up-to-date..so that shouldn't be a problem. Will switching to OS to a retail verison fix the not booting from CD issue?

Ok I think the system tome got messed up with the CD you made. Did you make the CD a boot CD? You may be stuck..with out the right disc to fix it as you would remove the HD and nuke it and put it back and start over. I would put a PPC version of Linux on it At least you would get a newer browser in Linux. You could try to just download the Mac point update and burn to a CD and see if it upgrades some more. You would need to be at 9.2.1 to install X. With the boot CD to run the machine on restart its going to boot from the HD..your like stuck.

Reaction score
Do you want to try a clean install with the CD you have. Will the installer run on the desktop? Youll check the box (clean install) and (Custom install) n the list at the top is OS9...over on the right is a arrow click the drop down and choose (universal install) Run the install and see want happens. May make things worse or better. Good Luck.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok..made a retail CD..installed fine and in the process of updating to 9.2.2..I'll try to boot with the CD after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Made a CD? Interesting.

If all goes well then go into the firmware update link, update to 4.2.9 and then use OS X.2/OS X.3 retail install DVD to install OS X. o not use a silver grey disc from another computer.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok guys..successful ending to this one! The problem was the jumpers, if I wanted to boot from the HDD or CD drive it had to be set to Master or else it would refuse to boot, even if I set it as the Startup Disc. It was quite the run-around, but I got OS X.3 installed and it runs pretty good for only a 333mhz and 256mb of memory. I appreciate you sticking with me through the whole thing..even though it was a simple fix in the end! :)

Reaction score
JUMPERS..Holy Cow..Batman! Lesson 101...PPC Macs are not PC's ..Jumpers are always master. I couldnt figure what caused the run around. You guys need to tell us every thing you do when working on a machine. This could of been solved way back. Good you got it going and best of luck and enjoy your Imac.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah..sorry about that. I had quite the interesting setup going. I had to use a full-size CD drive..so I had a PATA cable plugged in and sticking out of the front (think of a tongue) connected to the HDD and CD drive, with the power coming from an Enermax PSU I had laying around. It worked though, albeit with a little creativity. And lesson learned..jumpers are always set to Master on PPC Macs lol. Thanks again for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

Reaction score
Wow! Dude very creative indeed. Thats the way you do a G4 that has a CD drive when you have a DVD disc..rig up a DVD drive hanging out the side.

OP
K
Reaction score
Yep, it's quite the setup..but it works! I take it you have/had a G4? Those are some pretty cool ones..I'd like to get one. So far I've only got a II GS ROM 3 from 1989, and the iMac mentioned in this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.