Can I downgrade ML to SL using TM?

Reaction score
Hello all,

I downloaded ML this past weekend and, like others have been saying, it was clearly a mistake. I am running 4 mb of RAM, but that should be just fine (although I did order 8 mb to see if that will help). If the additional RAM does nothing, and I suspect it won't, can I downgrade back to SL using a TM backup from this past Friday night? I am reading mixed things online.

TIA!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't downgrade with a Time Machine backup. If you had made a cloned backup using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, then yes. The reason you can't downgrade with a TM backup is because TM backups are not bootable.

What you can do is install Snow Leopard clean and then restore from your Time Machine backup. You'll need your original Snow Leopard install recovery DVD to boot with.

OP
Q
Reaction score
You can't downgrade with a Time Machine backup. If you had made a cloned backup using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, then yes. The reason you can't downgrade with a TM backup is because TM backups are not bootable.

What you can do is install Snow Leopard clean and then restore from your Time Machine backup. You'll need your original Snow Leopard install recovery DVD to boot with.

Thanks. I have the disc. Appreciate the response.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.