Replacing A1369 Air LCD Panel

Reaction score
Hey all.

Can anyone advise on replacing the LCD panel on the A1369 Macbook Air. I can get hold of an LCD panel off ebay but have read that they are glued in and very difficult to separate from LED backlight. Does anyone have any knowledge of this. I really don't want to have to pay full price for a full enclosure.

Many thanks

Hutch

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My understanding is that the entire enclosure has to be changed out. You can get more information on this at iFixit: The free repair manual. Have your model on hand and look up LCD replacement.

OP
H
Reaction score
From reading that post it does look like it is possible to do this. The last comment on ifixit states that it took him 2 hours and was a PITA. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this, as I'd sooner spend a bit of time doing it than pay full price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
What's wrong with the LCD? If it's cracked/broken, there's no harm done attempting to open up the display assembly and replace the LCD. If you screw up it's just the LCD cost. If the display isn't physically damaged and you open it up and fail, then Apple won't accept the display for an exchange part, the replacement then costs more. I've only ever replaced the complete display assembly so can't give advice on replacing just the LCD.

Reaction score
I've done the replacement once... man that was difficult. Be very careful and use a heat gun and a large flat tool that is thin.

The LCD is glued to the LED layers so make sure you only take out the lcd not the LED layers. also the LED connects to the lcd so make sure you unplug that prior to removing the lcd otherwise it'll be a pita to fix.
here's a video:
Снимаем матрицу с MacBook Air A1369. Часть 3. - YouTube

OP
H
Reaction score
Mucho thanks for the tip!! I've been putting off fixing it as before I still had 97% of a functional panel. Panel is now 60% so no harm in destroying this one if it saves me some money. Once the screwdriver arrives I will begin dismantling the thing and maybe even post a video.

Reaction score
I've done the replacement once... man that was difficult.]

Whenever you did the repair did you have any issues with the LCD backlight not powering on?

I am currently doing this repair and before I removed the old lcd the backlight worked fine. After removing the old lcd and installing the new one now the backlight wont come on. I didn't rip or tear any cables and have done lcd replacements before but this is my first LED lcd replacement.

Im pretty sure the new lcd is working properly and it is not contributing to the backlight problem. I have seen many other people encounter this same issue when doing this repair.

Any ideas?

and btw yes this is probably the most difficult lcd replacement job I have ever done

Reaction score
Whenever you did the repair did you have any issues with the LCD backlight not powering on?

I am currently doing this repair and before I removed the old lcd the backlight worked fine. After removing the old lcd and installing the new one now the backlight wont come on. I didn't rip or tear any cables and have done lcd replacements before but this is my first LED lcd replacement.

Im pretty sure the new lcd is working properly and it is not contributing to the backlight problem. I have seen many other people encounter this same issue when doing this repair.

Any ideas?

and btw yes this is probably the most difficult lcd replacement job I have ever done

Hi,
same problem here!
I had a cracked display, but the backlight was ok; after the replacement of the display the backlight is not working!
I tried with another display and same issue!
Anyone knows why? :|

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.