NTFS-3G ERROR! Cant mount my ext hard drive??

Reaction score
I have a samsung m3 hard drive and i followed the instructions to download the driver NTFS-3G driver. worked fine but when i plug in my drive i get the message below? now i will need baby step by step instructions as iam 1 week new to a macbook air 2012. thanks

NTFS - 3G could not mount / dev/disk1s1 at / volumes/mypassport because the following problem occurred .

dyld:library not loaded: / use/local/lib/libfuse
2.bylib
referenced from : / use/local/bin/ntfs-3g
reason:image not found

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Uninstall NTFS - 3G as it is buggy and will likely cause loss of data on your new MBA. We recommend Paragon NTFS from Paragon Software = $19.95.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^^ ditto

Believe we have a few members using NTFS-3G, but after I read too many reviews of all sorts of issues with it, gave my money to Paragon. Have been using it for 6 yrs now and no regrets.

OP
I
Reaction score
hey

ive also looked around and it seems paragon is the only way to go so thanks for clarifying that for me. i also have emailed samsung to give another option to the os x lion users as the ntfs 3g driver will not work for us. you would think they would know this....grrrrr

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Samdung - hah! Those folks over there could care less about taking care of their customers. Their customer service record is one of the worst in the business. So much so, that brand is not allowed in my home. Don't care how good any of their products are and they do make some good ones. If you can't get any help when something goes wrong, doesn't matter how good it is when it is working.

Also, if you'll only be using the drive with your Mac and not attaching it to a Windows or Linux box, you could just reformat the drive.

OP
I
Reaction score
Samdung - hah! Those folks over there could care less about taking care of their customers. Their customer service record is one of the worst in the business. So much so, that brand is not allowed in my home. Don't care how good any of their products are and they do make some good ones. If you can't get any help when something goes wrong, doesn't matter how good it is when it is working.

Also, if you'll only be using the drive with your Mac and not attaching it to a Windows or Linux box, you could just reformat the drive.

LOL I'm sure your right, they don't seem to have a clue even when I had live chat support with them. I do have a galaxy note and now this ext hard drive so they make good products deffo.

I was going to use this hard drive just on my air but I've changed my mind, so since my dell laptop is windows I guess ill have to buy paragon, but what a ***** to have to buy software for me to use it from mac to windows. If I did format my drive for mac, does thid mean when I hook it up to my windows it will erare and have to format again??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows can't natively read anything except FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. So if you partitioned an external for OS X or Linux, then you'd need a piece of software in Windows to read them. A never ending circle... I use NTFS for most of my externals since I use a Windows box for my multimedia server. Only use other formats for externals for OS specific backups.

OP
I
Reaction score
Windows can't natively read anything except FAT, FAT32 and NTFS. So if you partitioned an external for OS X or Linux, then you'd need a piece of software in Windows to read them. A never ending circle... I use NTFS for most of my externals since I use a Windows box for my multimedia server. Only use other formats for externals for OS specific backups.

Its all so confusing to me even thoe I'm understanding slowly lol. I mostly will store word documents, photos, videos mainly. I bought this mac for university this year so I thought ill buy a ext drive also but goodness. In windows u just plug and your on your way!

So if I just install the paragon driver, everything will work for both OS's? Maybe creating folders on the drive for mac/windows files will be better instead of partitioning a portion of the drive.

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, with the Paragon NTFS driver you won't really notice anything except you'll be able to see and write to those Windows formatted drives - and just about all pre-formatted drives are formatted for Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.