No batteries available

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought MBP 13" in April 2011 and unfortunately, I didn't purchase Apple Protection Plan.
All of a sudden, I now see the icon "No batteries available" in the upper right corner where it is supposed to say charging. My MacBookPro doesn't start without a charger and the light on the charger doesn't go amber. The light forever stays green. I have tried the 2 steps :
1. Reset PRAM/VRAM as per - About NVRAM and PRAM , and
2. Reset the SMC - Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

It has been just more than a year and I don't have a warranty. I really regret my decision of not having purchased the Apple Protection Plan. My questions are :
1. Is there anything else that I could do to restore the battery? My OS is Lion 10.7.4 . I also checked the system report, but the cycle count shows 0 and charging as "No" .
2. Is it normal that the Apple battery will be completely consumed in less than 2 years?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Unless there is a defect with your battery, I don't believe AppleCare would protect a consumable like a battery and as to whether it can be consumed in 2 years depends entirely on how it was used.

Can you plug this battery into another MBP (if you have access to someone elses) and see if it works? If not, it might be time for a new battery..

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't know how to remove the battery from MBP 13" Early 2011. I just found the guide in ifixit on how to remove the battery. I'll order the toolkit , remove the battery and try in someone else's Macbook Pro.
Is there anything else I could do to fix this?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can always take it to the apple store and have them definitely tell you it's the battery and nothing else before you take it apart yourself. If it is indeed the battery, then you can figure out if you want to do the work or them based on what price they quote..

OP
D
Reaction score
Will go to the store tomorrow

You can always take it to the apple store and have them definitely tell you it's the battery and nothing else before you take it apart yourself. If it is indeed the battery, then you can figure out if you want to do the work or them based on what price they quote..
Thanks razoredge. I just called the iStore and they asked me to bring it tomorrow. They said the problem might not be because of the battery. It could be something else. The technician said that "No Batteries available" could be because of something else.
If the problem is because of the battery, I'll try to fix it myself.

I'll update the thread tomorrow after I visit the iStore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17'' late 2010, core i7 2.66, 4 Gb ram
Might be a bad connection to the board, but I doubt it.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks razoredge. I just called the iStore and they asked me to bring it tomorrow. They said the problem might not be because of the battery. It could be something else. The technician said that "No Batteries available" could be because of something else.
If the problem is because of the battery, I'll try to fix it myself.

I'll update the thread tomorrow after I visit the iStore.

That's a wise choice and depending on your AppleCare you might get it fixed as well. You have one year for free from date of purchase and before that expires, you can extend to 2 more years..

Do let us know how you make out..

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
The problem is solved now. I am currently replying using my Macbook Pro :) . The problem is because of the battery sensor. The iStore guy says that a liquid has been dropped because of which there was a problem with battery sensor. I seriously doubt though as I never dropped a liquid. He fixed it, but cautioned me saying that this issue is fixed only temporarily. To fix it permanently you would have to change the board which I can't even afford. He also said the problem because of the voltage fluctuations which I might agree considering the fact that I live in India, where voltage fluctuations is just the normal thing.
The charges turned out to be 2000 INR or around 40 USD, though no spare parts were changed.
I think what techo91 said is right.. I seriously repent the decision of having not purchased the extended warranty.

thanks a lot everyone..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear it worked out well and for cheap. You might want to look into a voltage regulator or something to avoid future damage to you MBP..

OP
D
Reaction score
After the repair, a new problem has started. My MBP won't sleep now when I close the lid. I took my MBP to the iStore and he said that this problem cannot be fixed as the issue is with the battery sensor. He says I have to replace my enter unibody to do that. Any help in this regard?
Though this issue is not a critical one, I would like to know if someone has faced this issue. I have already tried resetting the PRAM and SMC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If a battery fails in a newer MBP with the fixed battery, as long as the cycle count is less than 1000, they can be replaced under AppleCare. Only last week I replaced a battery in a 13" MBP, tested bad, and was reporting service battery. The cycle count was just over 900 and it was just within the 3 year AppleCare period. Apple class consumed as showing a cycle count over 300 on the older removable batteries, and 1000 on the newer.

Unless there is a defect with your battery, I don't believe AppleCare would protect a consumable like a battery and as to whether it can be consumed in 2 years depends entirely on how it was used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.