System Update For Snow Leopard Won't Let Me Open Mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 500GB HD, 8GB RAM, 32GB iPhone 4S Black, 32GB iPod Touch
Hi all, I just downloaded the most recent system update for Snow Leopard. It was a security update. This has left me unable to open mail as it says it isn't compatible with this version (4.5) of OS X. There is a new Mail app in my apps folder but it doesn't have it's own icon, just the little apple 'A' thing, and it is unresponsive when I click it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Apple Mail fails after security update

We had a flood of customers rush in after this update and discovered the same thing. In all cases we went to Apple/Support/Downloads and re-downloaded the SecUpd2012-004.dmg and reinstalled it manually from the Finder and it repaired the Mail program and icon and restored the Mail program to full functionality.

We hope this works for you!

Steve Bilzi
Sr. Tech
Bilzi Mac Services
Wilmington, NC

Reaction score
mail app and update

hi, I have the same problem but I tried the re download of the security update and it didn't fix the mail problem. Maybe I did it wrong? as I look in the download list and it only shows the original date of the down load, not todays.:'( ????

Reaction score
mail app and update

hi, I have the same problem but I tried the re download of the security update and it didn't fix the mail problem. Maybe I did it wrong? as I look in the download list and it only shows the original date of the down load, not todays.:'( ????

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.