iOS 6 download without permission

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Two days ago a badge appeared on the settings app of my iPhone 4. Naturally I had a look to see what it was. It was a notification to say that a new operating system was available for my phone. I had already checked out iOS 6 features and had read a number of comments from people who had already updated and as most of the new features held little relevance for me especially as i did not have Siri I had decided to stick with iOS 5, at least for now. So I clicked cancel and the badge disappeared. The next morning I was surprised to see the badge on settings had reappeared. On checking this time I was very surprised to find iOS 6 had been downloaded and was ready to instal. What happened? I have no idea but I am not alone. I have found several other posts from angry people who have had exactly the same experience on iPhone and iPad. I have also read that this beta version 4 was rushed through for the iPhone 5. Apparently iOS 5 was beta version 7 before release so Im not surprised to read there are a few bugs in this iOS 6 release.
So the question is this, can it be stopped? My wife has an iPhone 4 like mine and we are both on the same WiFi network at home but this hasn't happened to her (yet). She does have the update listed in Setting/General/Software Update but the download button is greyed out. I have further read that the best thing I can do is put up with the loss of some 600 Mb of space on my 16 Gb iPhone until iOS 6.1.0 comes out and install that with iTunes.
Any suggestions?
Annoyed

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Where did you read that the RELEASE of IOS6 is a Beta and not a Gold Master?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Dennis. Apple does not release beta software to the general public and call it an "update". I suspect someone is just repeating a rumor they heard.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi Dennis, here is the link to the thread where I read this discussion. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4322214?start=0&tstart=0
This was the result of a Google search for "iOS 6 download without permission." I did say "I had read" so of course I cannot verify the information. Regardless I think you and chscag are missing the point. This was an unwanted and unapproved download. It is taking up valuable space. Lastly how can I prevent it from loading onto my 4th gen iPod Touch or my wifes' iPhone 4.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If that thread states IOS6 is Beta, where is the proof. I can say Windows 7 is Beta but that has no proof attached to it. Apple bashers will say anything to make people mad.

I have never seen your issue. Will search and see what I can find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.