Problem : Uninstall apps

Reaction score
dear friends,
i recently (3 days back) acquired the 3rd gen iPad (16 GB wifi+cellular).
first thing i did was to upgrade to iOS 6, without trying to uninstall unwanted apps.
now when i try uninstallation (by keep long-touching the app-icon till the cross-mark is supposed to appear), but it doesn't happen.
could it be because of the upgrade or some other problem...
neither the inbuilt app nor the ones installed by me respond to the uninstall-attempt....:*

C

chas_m

Since you didn't say, I have to ask: did you actually power-down the iPad and restart it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The inbuilt apps can be moved but not removed. Do you get the X mark on other apps? Can you sync the iPad to iTunes and then remove the apps from there?

OP
A
Reaction score
No am not getting the X mark on any of the apps......i can sync to iTunes but didn't know how to remove apps from there.....!!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If the apps are only on the iPad and not in iTunes, choose to Transfer Purchases option first to get the apps into iTunes. Then you have a couple of options, first to try is to click on the iPad on the left sidebar when connected to iTunes and then go to the Apps tab on the right and uncheck apps you want to remove. Once finished, click on Sync at the bottom right. If this manages to do what you want, then you can keep the apps around (but unchecked) or just delete them.

If this method doesn't work, you can try the second which is to go the Apps section in the left sidebar on top (under Music) which will show you all the apps you've downloaded and available in iTunes, now highlight the apps you don't want and delete them and move to trash when prompted. Once finished, click on the iPad again and then just hit Sync on the first window, this should also remove the applications..

Also, when you did a restart, did you do it by holding down the home and sleep/wake button for a few seconds?

OP
A
Reaction score
Dear Raz0rEdge
i tried both options, 1st uncheck the unwanted apps & then sync, 2nd apps on my ipad are shown on the itunes screen (rt side) , there i was able to select & click the cross, and they disappear (on the itune screen). but after that when i sync it the apps still remain on my ipad !! as mentioned by you i had transferred all purchases from ipad to itunes library and the on the left side panel on apps-tab i deleted the unwanted apps and then sync-ed....still the apps just dont go from my ipad..............hope ther's nothing seriously wrong with my ipad !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Did you just power off/on, or do a hard reset?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
+1 On the hard reset if you haven't already done it.

To Reset
1) Press and Hold the Home button and Power/Sleep Button until you see the Apple icon appear
2) Release the buttons and wait (could take several minutes)
3) After your device restarts you should be able to delete APPs, if not, post back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.