• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Which is the best analogy…?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
OS X is to Windows as…

1) Rolex is to Timex
2) PSP is to GameBoy
3) Godiva is to Hershey
4) Takahashi is to Meade
5) Christmas is to Hanukkah
6) Grand Theft Auto is to Super Mario
7) Bose is to RCA
8) None of the above

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i would say #'s 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
fearlessfreap24 said:
i would say #'s 1, 2, 3, 6, and 7
I don't know if I agree with #7, BOSE is over very over priced and most of the stuff is junk.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Bose is very over priced"
So are macs. Therein lies the similitude.

"most of the stuff is junk"
Not compared to RCA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I like super mario...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Porsche is to Ford

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The only logical one is #5.
Mac OS and Windows are both computer operating systems.
Chirstmas and Hanukkah are both religious holidays.

In both cases, the things are similar in only the basic sense. Outside of that, they are completely different and cannot be compared as one being any "better" than the other.

All of your other choices pit high quality, more in depth, more featured, or more luxurious items against more common, less feature laden items....thereby inferring that the previous one in the simile is "better" than the other.

These other choices would only serve to act as flame bait to incite a Mac vs. Windows debate, which as we all know is a losing one which serves no purpose.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
D3v1L80Y has a good point.

That said I agree with Graphite, I still like Super Mario!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
D3v1L80Y said:
The only logical one is #5.
Mac OS and Windows are both computer operating systems.
Chirstmas and Hanukkah are both religious holidays.

In both cases, the things are similar in only the basic sense. Outside of that, they are completely different and cannot be compared as one being any "better" than the other.

All of your other choices pit high quality, more in depth, more featured, or more luxurious items against more common, less feature laden items....thereby inferring that the previous one in the simile is "better" than the other.

These other choices would only serve to act as flame bait to incite a Mac vs. Windows debate, which as we all know is a losing one which serves no purpose.

Well as philosophical and profound an answer as you thought you had... you are, mistaken.

Christmas and Hanukkah are no more alike (or no less for that matter) in that, they are "religious holidays".. than say ... GameBoy and PSP.. because both you see, are "handheld video consoles". But, then you may say... GameBoy is from Nintendo.. and made years earlier. PSP is if anything a continuation on the GameBoy. But ah-ha! Christmas is from Christianity.. and made into a holiday years earlier... Hanukkah was not made into the holiday it is today until after Christmas became so popularized. All of which can be compared in that fashion or any fashion, and argued in the same manor as you did in your statement.

Eitherway, the point is... if you say #5 is the only acceptable answer and then through the reasoning you gave insist the others are unacceptable... you inevitably force #5 to also be an unacceptable answer.

You mustn't look at them as a collection, but each as their own individual answer.

:)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I think. my brain. just. imploded.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
D3v1L80Y said:

Bravo.

It reminds me of the ad from a few years ago that said, "Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it."

I

iSeeKlearly

corysw said:
OS X is to Windows as…

1) Rolex is to Timex
2) PSP is to GameBoy
3) Godiva is to Hershey
4) Takahashi is to Meade
5) Christmas is to Hanukkah
6) Grand Theft Auto is to Super Mario
7) Bose is to RCA
8) None of the above

I'd say heres one---why not

OS X is to Windows as..

XM Radio is to Yahoo Launch :mac:

heheh....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
What is wrong with a Ford? :):p

I have been a Ford man for years myself, but honestly.....

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think it's that there's anything wrong with a Ford, per se, in as much as it is that a Porsche is just a lot better. But if you want to get technical, I'd personally rather have a Mustang than a Cayenne. But I'd rather have a Boxster than a Taurus. I'd also rather have a Dell Optiplex with Windows 98 than a Performa with Mac OS 7, in as much as I'd rather have a G5 with Mac OS X than a Vaio with Windows XP.

Whew.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While that's very true, these analogies compare something great that's uncommon, to something crappier that's much more common. If you were to compare a giant mansion to, say, a townhouse, that would be cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
corysw said:
I don't think it's that there's anything wrong with a Ford, per se, in as much as it is that a Porsche is just a lot better. But if you want to get technical, I'd personally rather have a Mustang than a Cayenne. But I'd rather have a Boxster than a Taurus. I'd also rather have a Dell Optiplex with Windows 98 than a Performa with Mac OS 7, in as much as I'd rather have a G5 with Mac OS X than a Vaio with Windows XP.

Whew.

I like the way you think.

OP
corysw
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.