problem with upgrading form OS x10.5.8

Reaction score
Anybody who can give a hint on the following issue. I want to take my iMac 2.66 MHz early 2008 model from Leopard 10.5.8 to Mountain Lion. According to Apple webpage I need to upgrade to the latest version of Leopard before i can jump do Lion which is the 10.6.8. The install program of this ver 10.6.8 does not start and gives a message that I need to upgrade first to 10.6.0. I cannot find this version anywhere. I will appreciate any help on this.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Snow Leopard is no longer available from the Apple Store. You have to call Apple customer service and order it direct from them. They'll send you 10.6.8 on DVD. $29.99 plus local tax and shipping. Once you have 10.6.8 installed, you can access the Mac App Store and buy - download Mountain Lion for $19.99.

OP
R
Reaction score
my problem is that I live in south america and not able to order a dvd. i need to upgrade online

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't upgrade to Snow Leopard on line. Doesn't Apple have a number to call in South America that you can order from? If they don't, have someone you know who lives in the States order it for you and then mail it to you.

OP
R
Reaction score
well if this is the only solution I will follow your advise. One last question . II assume an other option is to go for a clean install of Mountain Lion, can I?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You will need Snow Leopard upgraded to version OS X.6.8 and go to the App Store and purchase Mountain Lion. This is a huge download so trust you are using broadband. Prior to running the Installer, burn a copy to an 8GB USB thumb drive. Lion Discmaker is perhaps the pick of software for this job.

Make a backup on an external drive using Time Machine, SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner. Boot from the thumb drive, erase and format the hard drive and do a clean install.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/39701/lion-diskmaker

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well if this is the only solution I will follow your advise. One last question . II assume an other option is to go for a clean install of Mountain Lion, can I?

You can install Mountain Lion clean from a flash drive. Make the flash drive installer before installing Mountain Lion. Follow the directions given here.

OP
R
Reaction score
On other question on this subject.Is the version of Mountain Lion that is shown in Apple Store OK for a clean install. The ad talks about upgrading. I am referring to the one advertised for $ 19.99

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There is no such thing as an upgrade version or full version of Mountain Lion. They're the same. And yes, you can do a clean install with the version downloaded from the Mac App store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.