Snow leopard trackpad gestures on Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this forum and joined to increase my knowledge of apple products.I have had my Macbook Pro for 2 yrs and my girlfriend just bought the new Mac Air.
After having my Mac Pro for so long both of us are very used to the trackpad gestures. Of course the new Mac Air comes preloaded with Mountain Lion and the gestures on the trackpad are different. My first question I hope will be simple: I want to have the exact same gestures i use on Snow leopard on the Mac Air with Mountain Lion, is this possible?Yes Mountain Lion allows for me to turn on and off gestures, but does it allow me to customize what i want the gesture to do?
Thanks v much,
NosajlMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Depends on what gesture and what you are trying to do. If you go to System Preferences -> trackpad you can adjust settings there. Scroll and Zoom -> Scroll Direction -> Natural is one of the biggest complaints. Usually you want that off so that all mice work the same. I like it natural as it matches iOS scrolling.

Other gestures like for Expose and Application Expose don't exactly work the same because Apple implemented Mission Control. So the answer is you cannot get exactly the same gestures across all gestures as many things have changed. There are some gestures that can be turned back to match Snow Leopard.
How To Get Snow Leopard’s Back Gesture Back in OS X Lion | iSource

Also if you like gestures consider better touch tool - much more configurations for gestures.
Great Tools For Your Mac By Andreas Hegenberg » BetterTouchTool, BetterSnapTool & SecondBar

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for reply

The gestures i miss terribly are 4 fingers up to swipe all my windows up and 4 fingers down to line up all open windows... On mountain Lion i can't seem to get these gestures to do the same as they do in Snow leopard.. These two gestures make daily computing easier and i love it...But mountain lion has different functions, is it possible to customize the gestures on Mountain Lion to mirror exactly or even close to Snow Leopard.
Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Unfortunately the windows manipulation is what really changed with respect to gestures - in Mountain Lion and Lion. Because mission control took over for spaces - windows handling has changed dramatically. Mission control does not show hidden or minimized windows - which really messes with the 4 finger swipe gestures from Snow Leopard.

One way to deal with it - is to use cmd-tab to cycle through your open apps. Then when you have the app you want - while holding the cmd button - hit the up or down arrow and application expose will show up with all windows (hidden and minimized)

Or you could stop using minimize or hide. One nice thing about Mission Control is that it groups your open windows (non-minimized) - you can use spacebar to zoom in on windows when Mission Control is open.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.