New to Mac

Reaction score
I have been a long term Windows person, but just taken over a Macbook Pro 17 inch from a reliable source. What steps should I take to ensure the machine is "clean". Will my Norton antivirus work on Mac, or what other recommendations.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Unlike Windows machines, you don't really have to do anything to keep things clean. The thing I would recommend is whenever you want to uninstall programs (any that don't have a built-in installer), use a program like AppCleaner to remove application so that all associated configuration files go to the trash as well.

This doesn't necessarily slow things down and doesn't take up a lot of space, but just completes the uninstallation.

Other than that, you can run OnyX at some interval to clean things up and a Repair Permissions from Disk Utility might not be a bad idea.

I've been using my iMac since I got it in early 2009..upgraded it to Lion and Mountain Lion and do nothing special with it other than use it..no anti-virus, no checks or anything..:)

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for that advice. It all seems very different from the WINDOWS world so I can see why converts never go back.
Richard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.