Burning a DVD video

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to macs. I have, on my Mac Mini managed to download a video from my camcorder and using iMovie (and Youtube tutorials) managed to create a movie complete with titles and transitions. How can I convert this movie to DVD format and burn it to an external DVD burner (that I have)? There does not seem to be a program on this mac that came with Mountain Lion?

Youtube tutorials suggested clicking on share and then choosing iDVD but that choice is not there.

Thanks in advance you all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iDVD program is no longer included with new Macs. However, the free open source "Burn" can be used instead. Download from here.

C

chas_m

Can we consider consolidating these questions into a sticky?

This is a frequent question with numerous (and I mean NUMEROUS) threads and best of all -- easy, straightforward options for solutions.

Something like "How do I burn a 'movie' DVD on my Mac?" should do the trick.

OP
M
Reaction score
Is there a DVD Burning application I could buy which as user friendly (as I hear) iDVD was?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is there a DVD Burning application I could buy which as user friendly (as I hear) iDVD was?

For a Pay program I would recommend Roxio Toast. It's like Nero is for Windows but for OSX.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for Toast. Keep your eye open for bargains on Toast. It will occasionally go on sale for half price which is a substantial discount. Last Spring is was offered as part of a bundle with 6 other apps for $49.95.

C

chas_m

There's nothing I'm aware of for either Mac or Windows that created DVDs with full menus quite as well as iDVD. Roxio's Toast offers simpler but perfectly functional menus for DVDs.

OP
M
Reaction score
There's nothing I'm aware of for either Mac or Windows that created DVDs with full menus quite as well as iDVD. Roxio's Toast offers simpler but perfectly functional menus for DVDs.

Okay thanks. I will wait till toast goes on sale. In the mean let me learn how to use this operating system.

Reaction score
Has iDVD been discontinued (why?), or do they just now charge extra for it?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Has iDVD been discontinued (why?), or do they just now charge extra for it?

IDVD was dropped by apple along with iWeb. Not sure why in the case of iDVD.

Reaction score
I've just produced my first DVD using iDVD, but while it plays fine in my Mac and in a DVD player it won't play in either of two Windows computers, both of which have always played any DVD put in them in the past. Any ideas?

C

chas_m

That does seem strange. I have no explanation other than to suggest that perhaps those two drives are having trouble with home-burned discs (though why that would be is again a mystery).

Reaction score
I can't speak for one of them as it isn't mine, but the other one is an almost new (but well proven) BluRay burner. It plays the titles of the DVD but not the video.

C

chas_m

In my previous post, I overlooked Adobe Premiere Elements because I wasn't aware it did DVD menus, but it does.

Now I'm glad I did overlook it, as a major new version was just released today. While I very much doubt it's quite as good as iDVD was, it would certainly make an acceptable substitute for most people, and has the advantage of essentially combining Adobe's answer to iMove AND iDVD into one program. It sells for $100 on its own but can be combined in a bundle with Photoshop Elements for $150.

Edit video | Adobe Premiere Elements 11

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The question remains - WHY did Apple drop iDVD?

Why is Microsoft dropping the desktop and making a total touch screen interface for a desktop computer? :D Another question, why do you seem so negative toward Apple and a lot of what they do? :D

On a more serious note, I have read here on the forums and on many other forums people complaining about iDVD crashing, Slow, taking hours to get to the finished product. The slowness I have witnessed many times BTW. I really don't miss it but apparently many do.

I doubt we will ever know the exact reason why they got rid if iDVD. They claimed they got rid of iWeb along with Mobile ME as they no longer are giving out server space for your Web site.

If I were Apple I would add some burning capabilities to iMovie, but I doubt that is going to happen as everything is going away from burning media to the Cloud. I am Against that BTW the way, but it's the way computing is going Many well say why do I want a DVD copy, come visit me and I will show you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Why is Microsoft dropping the desktop and making a total touch screen interface for a desktop computer? :D Another question, why do you seem so negative toward Apple and a lot of what they do? :D

On a more serious note, I have read here on the forums and on many other forums people complaining about iDVD crashing, Slow, taking hours to get to the finished product. The slowness I have witnessed many times BTW. I really don't miss it but apparently many do.

I doubt we will ever know the exact reason why they got rid if iDVD. They claimed they got rid of iWeb along with Mobile ME as they no longer are giving out server space for your Web site.

If I were Apple I would add some burning capabilities to iMovie, but I doubt that is going to happen as everything is going away from burning media to the Cloud. I am Against that BTW the way, but it's the way computing is going Many well say why do I want a DVD copy, come visit me and I will show you.

I like the suggestion that DVD burning capability should be embedded in iMovie. Being a newbie, my issue is how to play a video downloaded and authored in iMovie on the TV in the living room? Or give it as a gift?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like the suggestion that DVD burning capability should be embedded in iMovie. Being a newbie, my issue is how to play a video downloaded and authored in iMovie on the TV in the living room? Or give it as a gift?

Agreed. I do videos for people and they need a hard copy to play at say a meeting for many other people. Going to the cloud is not always possible for them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.