Late 2008 macbook won't start up

Reaction score
Hi, I recently took out the optical drive from my macbook and put in a crucial m4 ssd. I've been using the ssd for my operating system and apps and using my old hard drive to store my files. I also upgraded to mountain lion when it was released and have put on all updates as they've been released. Everything worked fine for the first week or so after putting in the ssd but since then I've had loads of problems. Most have been easy to fix but now my laptop won't start up at all. When I turn it on it starts as normal with the apple sign and the spinning wheel but it also has a loading bar which starts to progress but when it gets about a third of the way through the laptop just shuts down. I can boot into bootcamp by holding alt when i start up and this works fine but no luck booting into mountain lion. Anyone got any suggestions on what I could do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot to the recovery partition in Mountain Lion and verify the drive with Disk Utility. You do that by holding down the command + r keys as soon as you hear the bong sound.

OP
H
Reaction score
I've tried doing this but it won't work. Same loading bar comes up and then everything goes. It also won't let me boot into safe mode

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's not a good sign. It sounds like the SSD might have problems. Do you know if the drive is still under warranty and hopefully you've been making backups?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.