Protecting external hard drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I have to external hard drives by WD. Each is a 3 TB. I notice once makes a little sound which worries me. It's the one I have hooked up to my iMac's Time Machine.
What is the best way to protect these external hard drives? I would guess to not keep them on all the time? What is the best way to eject them and then find them again with the Finder?
Thanks for your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are differing opinions about keeping external hard drives attached at all times. One advantage of keeping them attached is that Time Machine will constantly make updates that way. The disadvantage is that the drive is always working - spinning up and spinning down. More wear and tear.

I personally do not keep my external drives attached at all times and only hook them up for backups (Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner) and when I need them for data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.