Mac OS X Reinstall

Reaction score
I purchased my Macbook Pro used and my install of Mac OS X corrupted a few weeks back. And my Macbook Pro
is the only apple computer I own. Unfortunately I cannot seem to purchase Mac OS X on my windows PC, likewise
I cant seem to purchase Mac OS X in the OS X utilities window. Is there anyway to purchase OS X without another
functional apple computer?

I hope someone can guide me in the right direction.

- Hugh

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of OS X is on the MBP? It would help if you told us that information as it makes a difference for recovery.

OP
S
Reaction score
What version of OS X is on the MBP? It would help if you told us that information as it makes a difference for recovery.

My MBP was running Mac OS X Lion, I believe it is a 2010 model. In the system information it says the model identifier is MacBookPro5,3

4GB Ram
2.8 Ghz Dual Core Processor

Hope that helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, that makes a difference.....

Reboot your MBP but hold down the command + r keys as soon as you hear the Bong! sound. That will boot you into the recovery partition where you can use Disk Utility to do repairs and also download | reinstall Lion. Note - if you don't have an Apple ID you will need to obtain one and then pay for the download. You can either download Lion for $29 or Mountain Lion for $19.99.

You stated in your first post that your install of OS X was corrupt. In what way was it corrupt? What kind of errors did you get if any?

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, that makes a difference.....

Reboot your MBP but hold down the command + r keys as soon as you hear the Bong! sound. That will boot you into the recovery partition where you can use Disk Utility to do repairs and also download | reinstall Lion. Note - if you don't have an Apple ID you will need to obtain one and then pay for the download. You can either download Lion for $29 or Mountain Lion for $19.99.

You stated in your first post that your install of OS X was corrupt. In what way was it corrupt? What kind of errors did you get if any?

The MBP automatically boots into the OS X Utility page, I removed the install of OSX because it was corrupt. Hence, the reason I couldnt boot into the regular OS X to begin with. I used disk utility to find out that the install was corrupted, however my disk is perfectly fine.

I can't purchase OSX in the OS X Utility page, and I can't purchase it on my windows machine. So I am basically stuck with no way of getting OS X....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By OS X utility page, I'm assuming you mean from the recovery partition. The only thing you can do now is call Apple at their customer service number and order Snow Leopard 10.6.8 for $29.99. SL is shipped on DVD. With that you should be able to install Snow Leopard from the DVD and that will give you access to the Mac App Store.

Once you have access to the store, create an Apple ID (your email and password), enter a valid credit card, and then order Mountain Lion as a digital download for $19.99. Skip Lion.

Note: With the Snow Leopard DVD, you'll want to install it clean. That means erasing the hard drive first, formatting, and then install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.