Need help with Kernel Panic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
I've been experiencing kernel panics the past couple weeks. Usually after I put my computer to sleep and try to wake it up again.

Other issues I've been having: apps running slow especially after long working sessions and with large files, computer won't wake up after it's sleeping (though it's hot and seems to be running), apps crashing (especially while trying to quit), other...

My question is, should I take my computer in for a check up? Or is this usually a disk issue and if so, should I just order a new HD and install it?

Thanks for any advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which Mac do you have, year and model? Version of OS X it's running? And, is your Mac still under warranty?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 32 GB Ram, 27" Thunderbolt Display, 4TB G-RAID TB Storage
It's a 27" iMac, 2.8 intel core i7, running 10.6.8, 8 GB ram (which is max). Not sure which year it is, maybe 2-3 years old.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Run a verify and repair on the hard drive using Disk Utility when booted from your Snow Leopard DVD. Let's check the hard drive and see if there are any problems with it before doing any other trouble shooting.

Kernel Panics are normally the result of hardware errors but can also be caused by software. The usual suspects are the hard drive and memory.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
****, I'm having trouble finding my disks. Can I try using disk utility after a regular start up? Or should it be done from the start up disk?

I did find the disk for my laptop, macbook pro install DVD 10.5.7. Would that work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, you can't verify the hard drive while it's mounted. It has to be booted from the disk. And the disk for your MacBook Pro won't work because it will be unable to boot the iMac.

However, if you're comfortable using the single mode command line you can verify the hard drive on the iMac without the disk. Follow the directions given here: LINK

Let us know what the results are.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I found the disk!

Ran Verify and it stopped saying that it needed to be repaired. Things in the list were:

Missing thread record (five of them in a row)
Incorrect number of thread records
Invalid volume file count
The volume....is corrupt and needs to be repaired

Ran the repair and it said - Successfully Repaired. Ran the Verify again and said things were ok.

So, does that mean it's good to go? Are those things what could have caused the Kernel Panic? The slowness? I'll update with how things are running in the next few days, hope things are better.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update!!!

I just got another kernel panic on start up. My computer was actually better over the past few days. Now since I ran the repair, I got this crash. And while starting up. I was happening after sleep mode, so this is different. After I forced shut down and start up again, it got stuck on a blue screen for a long time. I force restarted again and got a blue screen again but this time it finally started up.

Could I have made it worse? What to do at this point?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Run another check on the hard drive. Let's see what it says. If it passes, run the Apple Hardware Test in extended mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.