purchasing an iMac

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first post - I am about to replace my Macbook - I am leaning towards buying an iMac (don't have as much need for the portability of a laptop as I did while in school) but I don't know if I should wait a bit before the new version of a 21" iMac comes out. Thoughts? Anyone know about any schedule for this? I don't want to buy it and the new one come out right after.
I am also thinking that if I get the iMac and really miss the portability factor I might just purchase an iPad to do basic editing (microsoft mostly), email and various web surfing. Does anyone use their iPad for word, ppt, etc and if so, how do they find it?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to some responses.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Who knows when the new model will be released. Many predict next year but like all of us you pays your money and takes your chances. Purchased mine new after the so-called release date of June 12 came and went. Very happy with it.

Reaction score
Join the queue of, more than a bit irritated, increasingly desperate iMac window shoppers.
Me, I'm a Windows switcher, but don't see any sense in buying outdated technology, especially at the huge prices that constitute the entrance fee to the Apple Eco-system.
I frequently visit my local Apple store, Bristol, UK, and I'm staggered at the number of people that continue to purchase iMacs. Oh, the naivety of Joe Public !
I'm also beginning to question my decision to switch. There are some very very good Windows machines out there now, and following on from the maps debacle, the Samsung legal proceedings, and the arrogance (not to mention commercial naivety) of Apple tactics, I'm slightly less inclined to remain so decisive re my intentions. I want a new machine and I want it now

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you want a new machine now, then buy it now. If you find a Windows machine that you like better, buy it. Computers are tools to do work; some are more elegant than others but tools nevertheless.

Many of us (myself included) own Windows machines in addition to our Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are questioning stay put. You will never be happy if you purchase the iMac.

OP
E
Reaction score
I am definitely not worried about the mac factor - I have used a mac for about 10 years. Just wondering about the "new model" possibility. Can't seem to find any concrete answer and was hoping for some insight I suppose.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can't seem to find any concrete answer and was hoping for some insight I suppose.

There has been "talk"/rumors about new iMac's coming out for approximately 4-6 months…and every time Apple has a big news event…no iMac's.

- First it was the event back in June when the new MacBook Pro's were released (including the retina MacBook Pro).
- Then it was the Mountain Lion event in July (no iMac's).
- Most recently the iPhone 5 event (no iMac's).

You can see…if a person back in May (or earlier) was looking to buy an iMac (and waiting for new models to be released)…now 4+ months later they would still be waiting!!!:(

I know that there are now rumors of an October, 2012 new iMac release. Maybe it will happen…maybe not. You can buy now…or wait. Eventually new iMacs will be released.:) But when is the big question!???

Just think what that person(s) back in May looking for a new iMac is thinking about new iMac rumors!;)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. I am currently hanging out with my MacBook and using my work desktop so I am good for the time being but things are definitely slowing down in terms of my laptop. Only a matter of time before she dies.

Know anything about the refurbished models? I can get a Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 for 1249 canadian ... worth it or too much of a risk? I don't really know what the diff. is between that and the 2.5 other than speed with advanced functions ...

Reaction score
If you buy a Mac Mini and a 27" monitor, you can come out ahead. Replace the computer as much as you like without buying a ridiculously overpriced monitor every time you do like, like you do with an iMac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Know anything about the refurbished models? I can get a Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 for 1249 canadian ... worth it or too much of a risk?

As far as I'm concerned...there's no greater risk buying a refurbished computer from Apple.com...than buying a new computer. Both come with:

- 12 month Applecare warranties
- both can have Applecare extended to 3 years (you have to pay for the extended warranty)
- the refurbished computers are just like new

I personally would have no problems purchasing a refurbished computer from Apple.com.:)

OP
E
Reaction score
I stopped into an Electronics place last night and while I was there I asked the sales rep about the new iMac ... they don't have any in stock and haven't for a couple weeks and are unable to get any in. He thinks it is because the new one will be announced in October.
I am just wondering what the differences will be - if it is just the new OS - I can get the upgrade from Mac for no cost.
The thought of being able to get a refurbished iMac and then just get the upgrade to the new OS - seems attractive to me. For the cost I could get the larger screen or increase to 2.7GHz.
My laptop is still chugging along - just painfully slow at this point.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am just wondering what the differences will be - if it is just the new OS - I can get the upgrade from Mac for no cost.

Apple doesn't release an new computer models just to have the new OS on it. All the current computers already have the new OS (Mountain Lion) on them. Whenever a new OS is released…all currently selling computers within weeks of the new OS release..will have the new OS on them.

If and when new iMacs are released…they will have different hardware specs. And as already mentioned…we DO NOT know when new iMacs will be released…and we DO NOT know what the hardware changes will be.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
No one knows exactly what the next iMac will be like, but odds are it won't be a dramatic physical change. Typically the insides are improved, more efficient, probably will get the new thunderbolt I/O, stuff like that. There's been speculation of a Retina Display model, but all that remains to be seen. Whatever it is, it will certainly be more than just the new OS. And of course, no one knows when it will be either. So, to echo what everyone always says when these questions are brought up... if you need one now, get one now. If you just gotta have the newest, wait forever and never buy one. ;)
But seriously, a refurbished iMac is a great buy and you certainly will get a lot of bang for your buck if you go that route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.