Mac crashing

Reaction score
I have this 1TB external drive that I bought a year ago. Not have the box or anything from it anymore ( seagate)
I had no problem with it but starting this week: If I want to transfer file ( both ways ), my computer crashes. A black window in 4 different language comes up telling me that I have to restart my computer by holding down the power. I tried to do repair disk and erase the data which enable the drive to work for a short period of time ( less than 10 min) before another crash. I can't get to repair permission ( gray out).
Shall I try more or there is something serious going on? I don't want to damage my mac
I don't have any problem with my other external drives. So that should rule out any problem with my mac...Correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If other external drives are working fine, then it sure sounds like the Seagate. Any chance you have disconnected it without first ejecting or dragging the icon to Trash to get it dismounted? That can corrupt the drive.

With the drive attached does it appear in Disk Utility on your boot drive? If so try and run Repair Disk from there. If not things do look glum.

OP
Q
Reaction score
I could do repair disk once with out crashing. but not anymore. Honestly I am afraid of trying.
What can I do with it. I didn't keep any box. And if I did, didn't know what to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.