Apple TV to Zeppelin from Mac

Reaction score
this is probably quite simple but i'm just making sure.

i currently have a zeppelin connected to an airport express that i play music from an ipad and mac on.

i'm giving the airport express away as i wanted the newer version, BUT if i just buy the apple TV, can i use this in the same way as i've been using the airport express?

My plan is to have the mac mini on my TV as a media centre then have the apple TV near the zeppelin and plugged into my 2nd monitor so i can mirror my desktop so i still have the computer in the same place.

once i've bought apple TV do i just need an optical audio to 3.5mm jack cable?

i'm close enough to the TV for the keyboard to wake up the mac mini, so i think its the right way to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm afraid not. While the Airport Express has a combined optical/analogue 3.5mm output, the Apple TV has a pure optical output.

So unless the device you're connecting it to has optical in or HDMI in it won't work

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have no clue what a Zeppelin is and really don't believe an Apple TV is what you want.

However, to get from an optical output to an analog input is going to require a powered converter - such as this. There is no "cable" that will accomplish this task - if you find one, it's a scam and it will not work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.