how do i upgrade from 10.5.8

Reaction score
Please can someone help me. I am trying to upgrade my my macbook from 10.5.8 but i cant seem to find out what i need to do.
I would like to know if anyone has found a link to download snow leopard online.
Is it possible to upgrade straight to the new lion version.
Any help would be brilliant.
thank you

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please can someone help me. I am trying to upgrade my my macbook from 10.5.8 but i cant seem to find out what i need to do.

Please let us know exactly what Macintosh laptop model you have. And let us know what OS version you want to upgrade to.

I would like to know if anyone has found a link to download snow leopard online.

Nope…there has never been a legal downloadable version of Snow Leopard.

Is it possible to upgrade straight to the new lion version.

Yes and no.

And just so we are clear…"Lion" (OS 10.7)…is actually an older version of the Mac OS. The most current version is OS 10.8.2 "Mountain Lion".

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
hi nick,
It is a black macbook. Here is the hardware profile of my computer without the serial number. I hope this helps with what i actually have.
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.13f3

also what do you mean by Yes and No to the idea of updating straight to lion. I understand that mountain lion is the newest but i didnt think i could get that without Lion. If it am wrong then please help me on how to do it.

thank you again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
also what do you mean by Yes and No to the idea of updating straight to lion.

Thanks for the computer info. The reason why I asked is...not all Intel Mac's can run OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. You're black MacBook 2,1 falls into this category (it cannot run Mountain Lion).

As far as your original question about Lion, "Is it possible to upgrade straight to the new lion version." The reason why I said "yes and no" is.

Yes you can theoretically go straight from Leopard (OS 10.5) to Lion (OS 10.7)...but you need a bootable USB stick with the Lion installer on it. But for most folks this is not doable...because they don't have the resources to do it (you need a 2nd computer...or a friends computer...that can access the Mac App Store)...so Lion can be downloaded & a bootable Lion USB stick created.

For most folks (who are currently running Lion)...you need to get a version of the Mac OS installed on your computer that can access the Mac App Store. To do this...you need at least Mac OS 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard). But...Apple no longer sells Snow Leopard at the physical Apple Stores or at Apple.com. And OS 10.7 "Lion" is no longer available on the Mac App Store.

So long story short...you need to contact Apple via phone...and ask them how you can go about getting Snow Leopard or Lion (other folks have done this).

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.