New Hard Drive for mid-2007 iMac???

Reaction score
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The drive you spec'd is a 'pull', but from a built PC or was it used for a short time? Plus it now shows out of stock. Far better, if you still want to buy from Aria this a faster drive only a few pounds more 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive - Aria Technology

Bear in mind, all these drives are OEM, so you only get 1 years warranty. I'd look around for a non OEM drive, but not a retail boxed unit, for the longer warranty.

Nearly forgot, some find replacing hard drives in your model of iMac easy, others not. The memory cover is removed, 1 screw. The glass is removed by 2 suction cups, then 10 torx screws become visible, remove. Slide the front back, remove connector at the top.Then 4 torx screws on each side of the LCD, 2 torx scres on video connector attached to LVDS cable, sensor lead and 4 connectors underneath from the inverter. Lift LCD off. Pull off black cover over temp sensor, pull off sensor and plastic clamp. Push off 2 connectors from HD, squeeze in black plastic at top of drive, and remove HD. Remove hard drive fitting, fit to new HD. Fit new ds tape to sensor fittings when dropping new drive into place. When reassembled, clean LCD and inside of glass, dust gets everywhere, easy.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks techiesteve for your reply,

I was more asking if that drive would be ok to see if it was the right spec, as I heard the iMac will only take certain makes or models. Is this right or will any SATA drive work?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 7.1, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600
Why not just go with an external drive? Or, get you a HDD docking station and buy a few cheap drives for storage purposes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Yes, this drive would be OK, no problem. Only the 21.5" and 27.5" newer iMac's have problems with non Apple hard drives, re the use of a temperature sensor within the hard drive. Your iMac doesn't have this problem, the temperature sensor is stuck under a small black plastic clip to the drive, you move it over to the new drive.

Would this work in the iMac? and fast enough for video etc?
Seagate 1TB Barracuda 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive.. | Ebuyer.com

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I put in a 1GB WD Cavier Black into a iMac very much like yours. Works great. That drive should work fine.

It's the later Macs like 2010 and up that have issues with normal drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.