New iPhone maps

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 4, which just updated itself to the new iOS. I'm adjusting to the changes, but I'm afraid the maps are nearly worthless. How do I get the old Google maps back? Is there a way to undo the update? I was really quite happy with my phone the way it was.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Have a read of this article. It may have the answers you seek.

BBC News - Apple promises maps app will 'improve'

There was an article in the PC Advisor Magazine about how to restore your Google Maps but unfortunately I do not get that particular Magazine as I only have Macintosh equipment, even so, there is a lead for you to follow up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to appropriate forum.

Read the following article and follow directions to install Google Maps back on your iPhone after updating to iOS 6. LINK

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you!

Thank you, Gandalph. It worked. Now I have decent maps again!

I suppose there's no hope of just undoing the "upgrade"...?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Besides your maps complaint, what is wrong with the update?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just ran several tests this afternoon with both the new Maps from Apple and Google Maps which I installed after the iOS 6 update. I have to admit that I prefer Apple Maps. It may not have some of the things that Google Maps has, but to me it's easier to use and around here in the Dallas Fort Worth Metro area seems to work very well.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks, chscag - here in St. Louis, it was a disaster.

dtravis7, it adds things and makes things different; I don't feel a need for it, and I really don't have time to figure everything out. (I should admit that I really liked my Palm devices, with their Real Keyboards, and only switched to the iPhone when it became obvious that Palm was going nowhere fast. The fact that the iPhone would transfer only the names and telephone numbers on my contact list, dumping everything else, didn't help. To me, this phone is just another tool.)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thanks, chscag - here in St. Louis, it was a disaster.

dtravis7, it adds things and makes things different; I don't feel a need for it, and I really don't have time to figure everything out. (I should admit that I really liked my Palm devices, with their Real Keyboards, and only switched to the iPhone when it became obvious that Palm was going nowhere fast. The fact that the iPhone would transfer only the names and telephone numbers on my contact list, dumping everything else, didn't help. To me, this phone is just another tool.)

The last part about the iPhone only being able to transfer contacts over isn't true. You need to back up your old phone via iTunes. Then when you plug in your new phone it will ask you if you want to restore from your phone backup or make a new phone.

Doing it that way guarantees that it will be exactly like your old phone.

G

Gordon Bennett!

The new iPhone maps are terribly out of date where I live (UAE). I used the above fix to restore Google Maps to my home screen - works fine. I used a similar fix to get YouTube back. I must admit, these rather petulant moves against Google are annoying and off-putting to the extent that for the first time ever I am going to check out an Android phone rather than an iPhone 5.

C

chas_m

You didn't have to "use a similar trick" to get YouTube back -- Google has posted an updated YouTube app to the App Store. It's free, and by all accounts improved (though it can do ads now, of course).

I for one wouldn't be quite so arrogant -- you don't actually know why Apple replaced the Google Maps app, you're just parroting what you've read from people who also don't know. Given that Apple continues to utilize Google maps in other applications and other Google services all over the place, I'm inclined to take them at their word that they simply didn't renew the contract they had with Google to provide the mapping data and wanted to launch their own service.

Some people seem to have SUPER short memories about how good Google Maps was when IT launched. Or, for that matter, about how accurate it is now.

G

Gordon Bennett!

No arrogance intended. I did an operating system update in good faith, and found that I was suddenly worse off (temporarily) owing to two Google-related resources having disappeared without warning from my iPhone. I have had to proactively take measures to restore functionality which I previously had. I joined this forum looking for, and finding, ways to fix this. I am aware of the issues between Apple and other software and hardware providers and find it hard not to make certain correlations. Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.