Mac Pro network problems

Reaction score
Hi all
Wonder if someone can help, a friend of mine who has a macpro with 8 cores has suddenly developed a networking issue with his ethernet sockets, not connecting then connecting only after he removes the cables and replaces it this happens on both network sockets

I've replaced the router with a different one same problem, so being a windows user ( I know don't shout) I ought lets try another way of connecting to the network we did this and bought an Apple wireless airport card., did all the necessary turning off removing drives and making sure I was grounded, I put the card in found the aerial cables plugged them in screwed the card down refitted everything that was removed and turned it all back on

Well everything went well found the Airport card entered the wifi code everything still going well, we connected to the Internet without any problems, even managed to install his time capsule and get it working then 10-20 mins later everything stopped no network again, his router still working as I could access the Internet using my iPhone through his network his son has a windows pc which it still accessing the Internet through this router

This is the question is there something I'm missing, is his macpro getting ready to go to mac heaven or can we do something to stop this
Any advice would be great everything else about his macpro is working fine without any known issues
Thanks in advance

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Have you tried replacing the cable/DSL modem, assuming you have one for your provider? I was having similar problems myself the past few months with my internet going "dead" and rebooting my router and modem always cleared it up for a few days, perhaps less. Interestingly, sometimes it was just my wife's laptop that would lose service while my iMac would be fine. I finally decided to just try replacing the cable modem... I'd had the same one for 10 years now, so I figured I may as well start there. We've had no issues in 2 weeks now. More interestingly, my wife said she can connect to her VPN (for work) faster than ever now.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi guys
Thanks for your replies. The firs hing I did was to replace the network cable, then when that didn't make any difference I replaced the adsl modem router for another one, checking after each change that other network users still had connectivity and could browse the internet all other machines no problem.

When the network cable was replaced in the mac we got network connectivity for about 5mins then it went down again so I changed to the other network socket it came back up again for about 5 or so mins, still the other machines had network access and could access the Internet

This was when I thought I would try a wireless card to see if it was the onboard Ethernet controller was at fault. I managed to find a genuine apple mini wireless card after installing it checking I had the right cables for the controller, I replaced all the parts I had removed, turned the unit back on..whoo ** everything came back up even the airport card, brilliant I thought we've sorted it, well 15mins later we were back to dot 1 no network connectivity but still had wireless connectivity with other devices including my iPhone and my windows based net book

If this were my windows based machine I'd start looking at drivers or the onboard network controller was overheating I'd then replace the onboard card with another PCI card but with a mac I don't know where to start

Is it possible for the network drivers to get damaged? If so how do I go about sorting this?

Thanks
Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You should so some basic housecleaning tasks. Firstly, reset the PRAM. Then use Onyx and run the full suite of maintenance and cache cleaning tools. You should also consider checking the hard drive to make sure it's not failing.

If the hard drive checks out and none of the maintenance works, then if you can, I would do a clean install of OS X to either a separate partition on the internal drive, or clean install to an external drive. Make a new user account (do NOT migrate anything), then use that installation for a bit to see if the problems persist. If it does, you almost certainly have a hardware issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.