Screen/Resolution(?) Problems, Mac 5,1 running Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Had my ever faithful Mac for a very long time and it's served me well, but a new problem that I'm having with it has got me wondering whether it's the end of the line.

The resolution of the screen has shifted up a little bit, so there's a small white gap under the dock and the very top of the menu bar is clipped. I've included some screenshots so you can see. This has sometimes happened when the Universal Access zoom is accidentally toggled on, but turning that feature off, restarting the computer and also toggling with the screen resolution isn't offering me a fix this time. Also (haven't got a screenshot of it), but when a window is open, like Safari, the top of the browser window won't rest flush against the menu bar, it sits in the screen as it should were the menu bar in the right place (a few pixels lower)...

It's irritating but it's not affecting the function of the laptop, just wondering if it was fixable or something I'm going to have to live with until I can afford Mac Book the Second.

Here are those screenshots...

Fullscreen
Screen_zps32647569.jpg

Close up of the clipped Apple stalk!

Screen2_zpsae48ef3a.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.