Security for imac

Reaction score
Please can someone tell me what I need to do to download security updates against malware? I used to use 3rd party SW but I gather Apple now do their own? Does Apple charge for this? They used to provide OS updates free years ago but charge now :( This has probably been deal with before, if so does anyone have a link?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple security updates are included with updates to OS X and other applications such as Java. There are no special separate updates to download to protect against malware.

You can choose to run AV software if you like and if you decide to do so, we recommend the free open source clamXav 2.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And updates are not charged for. For instance you can update OS X.6 Snow Leopard to OS X.6.8. To upgrade to a newer operating system such as OS X.7 Lion or OS X.8 Mountain Lion, then charges apply. Same as when going from XP to Vista or Windows 7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.