Late 2011 MBP 2.9 EFI Firmware update

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I have a late 2011 MBP, and I have never updated the firmware. I have been doing research and trying to figure out if we have to download the firmware updates from the Apple site, or if they are included in the software updates through the app store:Confused:.

The new 2.9 firmware update says that its for early 2012 MBPs, and I was wondering if I should update the firmware on my late 2011. I know they specified early 2012, but I want to keep everything as updated as possible on my computer. Thanks in advance for any advice:Blushing:!

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Firmware updates are specific to the model they're designed for. You can not install a firmware update for an early 2012 model Mac on your late 2011 MBP as it will not download. And even if it somehow downloaded, it wouldn't install.

OP
D
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me! :)

One more question - So in the future, will I need to download firmware updates from the Apple site or will they show up when I click software update from the apple drop-down menu?

I really appreciate your help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The firmware updates will be downloaded automatically from Apple if and when they're needed. You'll be notified first, however. Firmware updates are scary; I've gone through several of them with this machine and a previous Mac. The screen blacks out, you get a real long beep sound and what seems like a lifetime the machine acts like it's dead. Finally it reboots and everything is OK. Always make a bootable cloned backup before you install a firmware update.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ahh okay! I was trying to find an answer online, but it was not very specific or clear-cut. Thanks so much for your help and speedy reply! That process does sound scary, haha I would probably freak out if I would have gotten that response without knowing beforehand. Thanks again, and have a good one :)

Reaction score
OP: When u click Update on your machine and ask Apple, they know what machine you are running on and will tell you if there are anything new for your machine specifically.

Always make a bootable cloned backup before you install a firmware update.

So when I Carbon Copy Cloner my Macintosh HD, it makes a copy of my old firmware automatically? Or do I need to manually tell it to?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, CCC does not make a copy of the old firmware but you need the clone in order to be able to boot off the external drive in case the machine is rendered not bootable. I'm not sure how you would get rid of a bad firmware update but I believe if the update fails, the system automatically reverts back to the previous firmware. Apple does have a built in safety valve for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.