logging in

Reaction score
I had erased evertyhting on my macbook because I was planning to sell it but I didn't.
Now I am trying to set it up again using my time machine via an external hard disc.
Everything seemed ok
but now there is a blue background and a prompt by Mac OS X it has my name (and photo) as in my apple id, but it won't accept my password (as in my apple id)
I am also trying to leave it blank (as on my macbook pro) but it jiggles, clears the password slot... and won't let me in
what can I do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reset the password with your install boot disk.

OP
T
Reaction score
I take it you mean the cd that comes in the box
Well I have inserted it, I can hear it booting but the screen still
Remains blue like I described before
Please Mac-forum I really need help!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible your CD drive is not working right. It may be dirty inside or failing if it won't read the boot disk. You might try a can of compressed air - blow a couple of short blasts into the disk slot and try again. You need to boot the machine with the install disk in order to reset the password. Also make sure you're using the correct disk to boot the machine. You can't use a boot disk from another machine. It has to either be a retail disk or the one that came with your Mac.

OP
T
Reaction score
It's possible your CD drive is not working right. It may be dirty inside or failing if it won't read the boot disk. You might try a can of compressed air - blow a couple of short blasts into the disk slot and try again. You need to boot the machine with the install disk in order to reset the password. Also make sure you're using the correct disk to boot the machine. You can't use a boot disk from another machine. It has to either be a retail disk or the one that came with your Mac.

Well the CD I am using it's definitely it's own. The Box had 2 cds
a) MacBook Mac OS X Install DVD (and it says on the top corner to hold down the C key as the computer starts up and
b) Macbook Applications Install DVD (hold down the D key)

I shutted down the computer and inserted the a disc, holding the c key as it was booting....
well now the screen is white- greyish (the colour as it boots) but instead of the apple icon its a "no entry" (a circle with a diagonal line in it) and at the bottom it's showning the "thinking" circle....
what now??????????

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try booting again, only this time hold down the option key as soon as you hear the bong sound. If you get the circle with the line through it again, the machine might have a hardware problem. Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.