• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Checked my iPhone 5 thoroughly and it doesn't have this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I wonder if the anodizing isn't hard enough. A good hard anodizing shouldn't do that. Some high end mountain bike shocks use anodizing on them to help with friction. They usually last a very long time, unless something catastrophically fails. But once it fails, it wears off quicker.

If some are already starting to show wear, then it won't take long for the rest to come off.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I wonder if the anodizing isn't hard enough. A good hard anodizing shouldn't do that. Some high end mountain bike shocks use anodizing on them to help with friction. They usually last a very long time, unless something catastrophically fails. But once it fails, it wears off quicker.

If some are already starting to show wear, then it won't take long for the rest to come off.

That doesn't sound good.( ;´Д`)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I like how they claim "right out of the box," yet the phone has a screen protector on it. I don't believe this story. Who buys a BRAND NEW phone, finds a scratch, puts on a screen protector, and THEN complain about the scratch? Doesn't make sense to me. Return it! What makes more sense is this. New iPhone, new condition, put on screen protector, scratch it some time after, and then complain about it.

As for the anodizing, the anodizing hardness will depend on the type of aluminum it's used on. Generally, the tougher the aluminum, the easier it will be for anodizing to wear off due to a thinner oxide layer. I believe Apple still uses sulfuric acid to create a thin porous layer on the aluminum, which is what excepts the dye. The harder the aluminum, the longer the process takes to properly dye to either a certain desired color, or hardness, which means more money. However, these claims are coming for both black and white iphones, so anodizing shouldn't be an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
Aluminium naturally produces a hard oxide layer in use. This is seen when a nice shiny new bare aluminium item turns grey and becomes hard. Anodising is simply a means of accelerating this process electronically to make new soft aluminium articles harder. Colour is added by dyes being introduced into the surface of the aluminium by making it porous.

Phones may be getting damaged in production which is resulting the the aluminium surface being removed and this notices more when the grey/black surface reveals the lighter bare aluminium. This is not a coating coming off, it is the hard surface of the aluminium. Agreed a new phone should be perfect but if the anodised surface is likely to get scratched in use there is a strong case for buying the white phone as any bare surface revealed should "self anodise" in use anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Agreed a new phone should be perfect but if the anodised surface is likely to get scratched in use there is a strong case for buying the white phone as any bare surface revealed should "self anodise" in use anyway.

That's kind of what I was thinking. But again, the black looks so...stealthy...like a hitman in a black suit...minus the bald white head. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.