Time Machine and iPhoto

Reaction score
Hi guys - can anybody please help....

My wife's old iMac crashed last week - it was 7 years old so it had done well.

Luckily, I was running a Time Machine disc.

I replaced the iMac with a Mac Mini and that started using Time Machine also.

So when I go to Time Machine, I see 2 backup sets - the new backup of the Mac Mini and the old backup from the iMac - I know I can switch between them using the option key.

My problem is that there's a load of photos on the old backup set - how do I get them in to the iPhoto library on the new Mini?

So far:

1. I've tried adding them to the new iPhoto Library - not allowed as I don't have the authority - I'm the only user!!.

2. 2I've tried copying the iPhoto Library from the old backup set - also not allowed and also, there must be 60 versions of the iPhoto Library in the various backups, so even if I could get the files, I'd be there forever.

3, I've tried loading that old iPhoto Library as my main library - I thought if I could do that, I could "Select All" and copy to a folder on the desktop and then add them all to the new library. But again, it won't let me load a library from a TM disc and just dumps me out of iPhoto

The only thing I really need from the old backup set is the photos - is there an easy way/programme for getting them out of the backup set so that I can re-import them into the current iPhoto library?

If I could do that, I could then delete the old backup set and gain a load more space on the TM disc.

Walt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you first booted up the Mini, it should have asked you if you wish to transfer data from another Mac. At that time, attaching the old Time Machine backup would have moved all your data to the Mini from the backup. It's probably too late now since you've already created an account on the Mini.

You can try using the Migration Assistant app to move what you need from the old backup to the Mini. Let us know if it works for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.