Ancient MacPro out of date, what can I do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 1,1
Hello,

After trying to get advice at my local electronic boxstores I have decided to try this forum. My MacPro that I purchased roughly 6-7 years ago has fallen out of date and doesn't run as great as it used to. My safari will consistently crash if I open a webpage with too much flash or similar stuff going on. I also have the problem that the Tiger OS does not recognize my new video camera nor iPhone. What can I do to bring my computer up to date or is it set for retirement?

I have 65 GB available on my hard drive and this is my computers info.
Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 Build 862167

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version: 1.7f10

I would prefer to get this computer up to date again as it was a significant investment at the time and cost over $3000.00

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Oh wow..1GB of memory, you need to upgrade that pronto. That will immediately give this guy a TON of pep..

OWC has memory for this Mac and upgrade to as much as you can afford. It can handle a maximum of 32GB and doing that upgrade will run you close to $1000. I would go AT LEAST 4GB, but higher if you can afford it.

You don't say how big your hard drive is, and 65GB isn't really enough. You might want to add some additional space (you have enough bays for that), so add a couple of 1-2TB drives..

Lastly, you can upgrade up to Lion on this Mac Pro and I would suggest that you save all of your data and do a clean install of Lion.

So #1 memory, #2 additional hard drive space, and #3 clean install of Lion and you should have a very capable machine again. The Xeon chips are very potent and you have good bones to start with..

Full details of your Mac Pro if you are interested: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-2.0-specs.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Your main problem is the fact that you are using a Mac Pro 1.1 with 8 ram slots but you only have 1 gig of ram installed

Unless you have done some semi regular maintenance, that old Tiger OS may have inherited a few bugs so an upgrade may be in order.

You spare hard disk space is still good, but you can easily add a second SATA drive to add more storage

Good news, that is a 6 year old mac, but those things can still give the latest macs a run for the money, just a few upgrades will keep it in the running.

RAM. you need to be very very specific about the ram that goes into those. It HAS to be fully buffered ram, which has a different pin layout that the regular PC2-5300 dimms, see this link, a 4 or 8 gig upgrade will really make a difference
http://www.macramdirect.com/macpro.html#mp1

As for the OS, Apple no longer offer Lion on the Apple store, but I have contacted Apple and if you phone their sales line you can still buy OSX 10.7 Lion for $29, that will bring it up to the latest OSX it can support

So the new OS, and some decent RAM will let that Mac Pro fly, you still have a solid performer

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 1,1
Oh wow..1GB of memory, you need to upgrade that pronto. That will immediately give this guy a TON of pep..

OWC has memory for this Mac and upgrade to as much as you can afford. It can handle a maximum of 32GB and doing that upgrade will run you close to $1000. I would go AT LEAST 4GB, but higher if you can afford it.

You don't say how big your hard drive is, and 65GB isn't really enough. You might want to add some additional space (you have enough bays for that), so add a couple of 1-2TB drives..

Lastly, you can upgrade up to Lion on this Mac Pro and I would suggest that you save all of your data and do a clean install of Lion.

So #1 memory, #2 additional hard drive space, and #3 clean install of Lion and you should have a very capable machine again. The Xeon chips are very potent and you have good bones to start with..

Full details of your Mac Pro if you are interested: Mac Pro "Quad Core" 2.0 (Original) Specs (Mac Pro, BTO/CTO, MacPro1,1*, A1186, 2113) @ EveryMac.com

Thanks for your help. The hard drive was 300 GB and I have 65 GB free. When you say clean install does that mean wiping everything off and starting fresh? Is there a procedure to follow somewhere? I was told by one person that you can't upgrade from Tiger straight to Lion I would need to go Tiger-Leopard-Snow Leopard-Lion. Does he know what he is talking about? Thanks again for your advice.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 1,1
Your main problem is the fact that you are using a Mac Pro 1.1 with 8 ram slots but you only have 1 gig of ram installed

Unless you have done some semi regular maintenance, that old Tiger OS may have inherited a few bugs so an upgrade may be in order.

You spare hard disk space is still good, but you can easily add a second SATA drive to add more storage

Good news, that is a 6 year old mac, but those things can still give the latest macs a run for the money, just a few upgrades will keep it in the running.

RAM. you need to be very very specific about the ram that goes into those. It HAS to be fully buffered ram, which has a different pin layout that the regular PC2-5300 dimms, see this link, a 4 or 8 gig upgrade will really make a difference
http://www.macramdirect.com/macpro.html#mp1

As for the OS, Apple no longer offer Lion on the Apple store, but I have contacted Apple and if you phone their sales line you can still buy OSX 10.7 Lion for $29, that will bring it up to the latest OSX it can support

So the new OS, and some decent RAM will let that Mac Pro fly, you still have a solid performer

Thanks a lot for your help! Is installing ram something I can do myself or would I need to lug this thing into a shop?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Easiest way to do a clean install is to add a new HD, format it with Disk Utilities and then install the OS.
And, yes, you can upgrade straight to Lion. I am assuming from Louishen's comment that Apple would be providing either a download link or a USB drive with the Lion DMG on it.

Installing RAM is easy. If you don't feel comfortable doing it and can't find a friend to help then hauling it in s an option.

EDIT: RAM Upgrade instructions
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacPro_MemoryDIMM_DIY.pdf

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would prefer to get this computer up to date again as it was a significant investment at the time and cost over $3000.00

Just so you know…this Mac Pro is currently worth about $600…so this is a figure to keep in mind when it comes to upgrading. This is definitely still a good computer…I would certainly still use it for a number of things.

As far as the ram upgrade…ram for the 1st generation Mac Pro's is not cheap (compared to ram for newer Mac's)…but used ram from e-Bay is not too bad. I would recommend upgrading to at least 4gig of ram.

With 8 ram slots…if you filled them all with 512meg sticks of ram (4 gig total)…the cost wouldn't be too bad. These are basically the ram everyone else is getting rid of when they upgrade…so they should be selling fairly cheap on e-Bay.

If you would rather get new ram…then go to one of these guys:

- OWC
- Crucial

And yes…you can definitely do it yourself.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have one of those beasts running Lion and basically serving up media for me. I've got 4 GB of ram in it all all of the drive bays are full. It runs Lion quite well unless the boot drive does not have sufficient free space. In addition to serving media I use it to convert various files and perform other grunt work that I don't want to tie up my main machine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 1,1

So 10.7 is the glass ceiling for first generation MacPro's? Why can't it continue to be ugradeed as they release newer operating systems? You shall not pass!!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
So 10.7 is the glass ceiling for first generation MacPro's? Why can't it continue to be ugradeed as they release newer operating systems? You shall not pass!!

For some it is lack of 64 bit CPU, on others it is Graphics. Not sure what the specific issue is with Mac Pro 1,1. Now that you've asked I'll see if I can find out.

EDIT: Appears the 64bit only requirement for Mtn Lion is the problem. No EFI 64 for Mac Pro 1,1 and Mtn Lion won't boot in 32 bit mode.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 1,1
It is a hardware issue. For some it is lack of 64 bit CPU, on others it is Graphics. Not sure what the specific issue is with Mac Pro 1,1. Now that you've asked I'll see if I can find out.

EDIT: Appears the 64bit only requirement for Mtn Lion is the problem. No EFI 64 for Mac Pro 1,1 and Mtn Lion won't boot in 32 bit mode.

I see, well if Tiger got me this far, Lion should take me to 2018 when hoverboards pull double service as your mode of transportation and personal computer.

Did I read correctly that my 1,1 MacPro will support up to 2 TB of hard drive space. When shopping for my new hard drive(s) should I be looking in the 500 GB range to maximize it's potential?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
the pre 2008 Mac Pros all use a 32-Bit EFI Firmware and that is what stops Mountain Lion from running. The older video card might also but in the Mac Pro that can be upgraded. Will check on the limit for Hard Drive size and get back to you. Pretty sure you can go 2GB.

Just checked, it will do 3TB but the official HD size with Apple is 2TB.

Sly, you should know! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
3GB? Nonsense assume you mean 3TB Dennis?

And for what it is worth there are 'hacks' floating about the web to install ML on a Mac Pro 1.1, but it does need an upgraded graphics card, say ATI Radeon 5870, and a second hard drive. Jst Googl;e.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
3GB? Nonsense assume you mean 3TB Dennis?

And for what it is worth there are 'hacks' floating about the web to install ML on a Mac Pro 1.1, but it does need an upgraded graphics card, say ATI Radeon 5870, and a second hard drive. Jst Googl;e.

First, it was a mistake. People make them you know. Also I am too poor to even think of TB. GB for me all the way! Hey the Cloud is here, you don't need TB! :D I wish I would have put MB by miSTEAK. I tell you, it's all Apple Maps fault! :D

2nd, I was told by other staff NOT to discuss the hacks. I know them all well but from what I have been told, no discussion on Mac Forums.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AsDennis said that Mac Pro will handle 2 YB drives no problem I just checked I have drives ranging from 250 GB up to 2 TB in that beast.

I've been waiting for a hack to run ML on that beast. I would have to change the graphics card though. Still running the stock NVIDIA 7300.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 1,1
AsDennis said that Mac Pro will handle 2 YB drives no problem I just checked I have drives ranging from 250 GB up to 2 TB in that beast.

I've been waiting for a hack to run ML on that beast. I would have to change the graphics card though. Still running the stock NVIDIA 7300.

So I could install 4 - 2TB drives? I know its a dumb questions but I want to make sure I buy the right ones.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not personally tried it with four drives that size yet. I don't see why it would not work though as long as they are all SATA drives.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 1,1
And yes…you can definitely do it yourself.:)

Should I leave the factory installed ram in and add the ram I bought or should I replace it with the 4 - 2GB rams I got from Mac ram direct?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.