Does this mean I have been hacked/

Reaction score
Hi, I am not sure where to post this question. I am brand new - please feel free to redirect me to proper forum I have a MacBook Pro, and use the mac mail which has my 2 email accounts. i was in my inbox and used the search (upper right hand) to find email address for someone I was going to email. A yahoo address of someone I know but have NEVER emailed to nor have I ever received an email from, came up when i pressed some letters on my keyboard. this person is extremely computer savvy. does this mean I have been hacked into? Thank

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It doesn't necessarily mean your machine was hacked into. His name and address could have been one that was on another person's contact list that you correspond with.

However, you need to take stock of your personal security. Make sure the password which is used to access your email account is a strong one and change it every so often. Always use a password to log on to your computer and when it wakes from sleep or screen saver.

C

chas_m

No. This is called auto-complete and it is a feature of your Mac. It does not matter that you've never emailed them, their name is in your Address Book/Contacts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cMBP 13" mid-2012, 2.9 ghz i7, 8gb ram, 256 gb SSD,
Maybe the email address is from your spam folder. Perhaps you got an email with that email address and it's in Spam? I don't think you've been hacked but do a search for that email address and see what it comes up with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.