Airports

Reaction score
Hello

New to the forum and just looking for a quick anwser really.

Im trying to extend the range of a current wireless network using an airport express, think its an express its the smallest one with 2 ports on the rear.

Now the current network router is provided by sky and is wireless.

Can I use the airport to extend the current signal wirelessly, I have the airport hard wired to the router and working but want to unplug it and move it to another room to improve signal.

I have checked alot of forums and some say this is possible and some say its not.

Now im not worried if this is not possible with the current hardware as I will just buy another airport if this will work.

Any experts on these out there can tell me exactly what is needed

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You have to use 2 Airports (2 Expresses or 1 Extreme & 1 Express) to extend your network. You would plug one of the Airports directly to your router (and disable the wireless from Sky router if it has it) and then plug in the second Airport Express somewhere else and have it extend the network created by the first Airport..

I have this setup right now..an Airport Extreme Base Station sitting next to my cable modem in the basement and an Airport Express on the 1st floor extending the network so it reaches all corners of the 2nd floor..

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok thanks for that, I have seen threads where some people can get this working but I for the life of me cant. I will get a second airport and make life easy. Thanks for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.