browser redirected

Reaction score
Hi all. Apologies if this has been posted before.

I have MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.4. While using Firefox to surf the web, the site got hijacked to a completely different site. This has happened several times.

What's the problem? Spybot? Malware? Virus? Trojan?

I've tried installing Norton antivirus, which did nothing to solve this and a free program called Sophos antivirus which didn't help either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What site is it, and has the site itself been hijacked rather than your machine

OP
D
Reaction score
It has actually been different sites that have gotten redirected. They get redirected to a bunch of different sites for video games, and other odd stuff. How can I tell if the site itself has been hijacked or my machine???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Try resetting your browser,empty cache and history then relaunch also look into your system preferences and make sure your DNS has not been changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Try resetting your browser,empty cache and history then relaunch also look into your system preferences and make sure your DNS has not been changed.

In addition to this, you may want to check the DNS settings on your router. IIRC, there have been bits of malware out there that could hijack the DNS settings on some routers if they were able to get access to them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.