I want to downgrade back to iOS 5

Reaction score
This will teach me to read up on a new iOS before I upgrade.

I'm using the iPhone 4.

I was unaware of the removal of Google maps from the iOS 6 upgrade. To some people this may not be a big deal, but I live in Japan. Google maps is the only reason I know how to ride the trains here as well as I do. Now I have to go through a second party app, one that is all in Japanese. :Angry-Tongue:

This is quite the deal breaker for me. I need that train info. What I really need to know is:

Is there anyway to get my iPhone back to iOS 5?

If I do a factory reset and restore from my last backup will it still have iOS 6, or will it go back to iOS 5?

Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
and yet, when I go to the first item returned, I get error 404. Somebody at Apple must have reached them, or he was so swamped that he was knocked down.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The 2nd URL in that search is there and I like it better anyway. I am sticking with 6 BTW but if someone does need to go back to 5, that url works.

Reaction score
TattooedMac or Amguitarman: Do you still have instructions on how to downgrade from iOS 6 since it is no longer appearing on the website?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.