Ran A "Cracked" version of Screenflow and Now my mac is running slowly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello. I'm teke. I am the owner of a MacBook, Mid 2010 with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4, 8 GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz. Now, I was on thepiratebay (which is likely frowned upon by some) and came across a program called "Screenflow." I am a youtuber as well, so I thought, "Hey, why not?" I decided to download it, and had the dmg in my downloads folder for about two days. I ran it once as a test (all it was was Screenflow inside of the dmg and a txt file about a cracked serial code) and it ran fine. No weird things going on. That was about 2 weeks ago. Today, I decided to test it again, but this time with some more things running. I had Skype, a Minecraft client (with mods, whether this is relevant, I don't know), a Minecraft server (allocated with 2 GB of ram) and attempting to boot up screenflow. I booted it directly out of the dmg without a problem, but when I hit the start recording button, the people talking in my ear suddenly stopped talking. I looked on my screen, and saw I had gotten a kernel panic message. I had no idea what this was, so (assuming it was a virus of some kind), went on the computer I'm posting from now and Googled it. I don't know why, but when I restarted the computer in "safe mode" by holding down shift, I found that it was running incredibly slowly. Now, keep in mind that when idle, this computer usually has about 6.5 GB of RAM unused. After the restart happened, I have about 1.37 GB free with a few processes I don't recognize (such as "netbiosd, diskarbitrationd, cookied, stackshot, pboard, and a few others) running and taking up the majority of that ram as well as keeping both of the cores of my CPU fairly high (around 75% for either of them, saw it spiking at 100 on both at one point). I am panicking right now. I am running a virus scan, and Googling the crap out of these unknown processes, but I haven't found anyone yet that was saying anything about thepiratebay or anything like that. I realize it may be a good idea to run things found on thepiratebay, but I wasn't thinking at the time. Any help would be appreciated.
EDIT: Also, unable to find anything in the search thing in the top right corner of finder. o.o

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry, no help from the result of downloading and installing a "cracked" version of anything from pirate bay. Read our Guidelines which you can find in my signature line. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.