• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VLC- activate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13" 2012, 1.8GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5
Downloaded, installed in Applications- how do I make the thing work?? Video defauklts to Adobe player, I dumped Windows Media Player, can't do the same with QuickTime...

Just want to make VLC the default; the ReadMe says 'open file, get File Info, hit on VLC' but it is greyed out! Wonderful! Why is it so obscure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
VLC is a great media player but on the mac it's not that great..

I would have agreed a few years ago, but right now it's actually pretty good. However a great alternative to it is MPlayerX.

Reaction score
I'm wondering what caused my MBP (10.6.8) to refuse to shut down this morning, and having been forced to shut down declined to start. The only program I've installed that is permanently resident is Paragon, and I haven't read of any problems with that. I've never been aware of any problems with VLC. I have noticed prior to today that Firefox is sometimes reluctant to close, and prevents the machine shutting down. Are there known problems with that on OS-X? I've sometimes found it "iffy" on Windows.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gave up on VLC- too complex, their help does not want to know. Installed MPlayerX as per advice but it won't run either.
This from another site-

<<3. Pat Willener, Jul 13, 2011 11:02 PM in reply to Kristin95762 Report
Chrome comes bundled with Flash Player; you cannot uninstall that.
Thanks for your feedback.>>

SO- if I want to get rid of Flash Player I can no longer use Chrome/Gmail?
I have installed MPLayerX but I cannot use this either??

Comments, please?

Reaction score
Won't work? What kind of video are you trying to open?
Complex? Run program, open video/dvd, play. Or right-click video, select Open with... VLC.
No, can't get rid of Quicktime, don't even try. It's part of the system.
Even though VLC can play almost any video file it all revolves around...what kind of file are you trying to open?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Gave up on VLC- too complex, their help does not want to know. Installed MPlayerX as per advice but it won't run either.
This from another site-

<<3. Pat Willener, Jul 13, 2011 11:02 PM in reply to Kristin95762 Report
Chrome comes bundled with Flash Player; you cannot uninstall that.
Thanks for your feedback.>>

SO- if I want to get rid of Flash Player I can no longer use Chrome/Gmail?
I have installed MPLayerX but I cannot use this either??

Regarding Chrome... Flash is embedded in it, so no, you can't be rid of it if you use Chrome.

As for VLC/MPlayerX... I don't know why they aren't running, or more likely why it is you think they aren't running. When you double-click the apps, what happens? VLC should bring up a window. MPLayerX opens, but will show no actual player unless you open a media file from either its menu or by dropping the media on its icon.

You can set either app as the default media player for supported files by right-clicking on the media file; hit Get Info; change the app listed under Open with to the app of your choice; then click Change All to make it the default for all media of that type. You can also do this a bit more easily with this preference pane:
Rubicode - RCDefaultApp

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VLC should bring up a window- should, but does not.
In Chrome all video defaults to Flash Player; no option offered. So I've resorted to
Firefox with MPlayerX which is fine, in fact faster that FP. Happy now but peeved at
wasting so much time trying to unravel VLC.
Look at the VLC help page- it's a nightmare for I.T. challenged folk like me!
MPlayerX is so easy

Thank you all for your time and effort- appreciated!

Reaction score
I just installed VLC and it worked. After the download took me 5 or 6 minutes. I use it several times a day, every day.

C

chas_m

I think the OP is confused and is trying to play WEB VIDEO with VLC, which is awkward.

What he actually needs to do is simply install Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian (both free) and then videos on the web will "just play" (using quicktime) as they should.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.