How do I get my copy paste back?

Reaction score
I was digging through my files on my iMac 4,1 looking for anything abnormal because my computer has been pretty slow and I came across a folder (I don't know where) that said TMP. I didn't like the names of the contents as they looked like trojans and viruses so i deleted it and emptied the trash :( .

I have now found out that that folder contained my ability to Copy/Paste.

I was wondering how do i get those files back?

My specs

iMac 4,1
OSX 10.5.8

and i still have the install disc

Would like feedback asap because i'm doing school and that function is mandatory to me :)

Thanks,
KTfreak4jesus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
do you have a time machine backup?

That would help if you are going to do a re-install, which it looks like you'll have to do

OP
K
Reaction score
do you have a time machine backup?

That would help if you are going to do a re-install, which it looks like you'll have to do

No i don't. Is there anyway I can re-install without losing everything? and having a seperate folder with all the files?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Simple solution - re-create the tmp folder. OS X's clipboard daemon (pboard) depends on the existence of the /tmp folder.

/tmp is harmless - it's a temp folder (temporary location fo file operations). Files in here generally have odd names since temp files are commonly generated with random names since, because they are only temporary, they don't need to have memorable names.

Perhaps, for the future, you shouldn't go around deleting things willy nilly. ;)

OP
K
Reaction score
Simple solution - re-create the tmp folder. OS X's clipboard daemon (pboard) depends on the existence of the /tmp folder.

/tmp is harmless - it's a temp folder (temporary location fo file operations). Files in here generally have odd names since temp files are commonly generated with random names since, because they are only temporary, they don't need to have memorable names.

Perhaps, for the future, you shouldn't go around deleting things willy nilly. ;)

Haha good idea..... i've now seen that it has also deleted Spotlight to. If I re-create the folder will i get my copy-paste back?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open up Finder, push Shift-Command-G, enter /, create a new folder called tmp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.