Apple iMac "Core Duo" 2.0 20-Inch - convert to monitor to use for dual display??

Reaction score
I've received different messages about this. i have an older desktop (early 2006) Apple iMac "Core Duo" 2.0 20-Inch that is running 10.4 and I'd just like to either upgrade it (I've got the 10.5 to 10.6 upgrade disk, but I'd have to find an old 10.4 to 10.5 to use it) or I'd like to convert it into a monitor to use as dual display with my new iMac desktop.

Any suggestions, feedback, directions, wisdom,.... appreciated.

thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your 2006 iMac does not have a video input port but there are other ways to use the monitor as a dual display, however, it doesn't always work right. Check out this article on "ScreenRecycler".

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks so much! i have had people tell me that i could do it with hardware, but it seemed like a fantasy to me.

So can I ask...given that I have a limited budget, is it worth investing in a 10.4-10.5 upgrade so I can then install the 10.5 to 10.6 upgrade so I can at least USE this thing? It's in great condition and is just sitting in a corner. **I did double the ram on it as well, so it has lots and lots of space.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Tiger to Leopard upgrade will be expensive. Leopard retail disks are going for around $100 on eBay. And yes, you will need a retail disk (black with the big X on it). Going from Leopard to Snow Leopard is less expensive: $29.99 from Apple direct.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.