No Sound Output Devices/MIDI

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new to posting on the forum, though I've been reading it for quite some time. This is the first legitimate problem I've ever had with any of my Apple products. One day when I booted up my computer there was absolutely zero sound when OSX booted up, though the computer did/does play the startup ding. I first noticed it when my volume control at the top of the screen was grayed out. I did some exploring and there are absolutely zero sound output devices available, and there are also no midi devices available. After searching this and other forums online, the troubleshooting I've done so far has led me to find out:

There is no red light coming out of the audio out jack
Headphones do not work
Disc Utility Verify and Repair didn't change anything
Resetting the PRAM and NVRAM with "P+R+Command+Option" didn't accomplish anything
Did a hardware on startup check that didn't reveal any problems
Time Machine is not setup, so I couldn't go back in time to when it worked

Again, the startup ding does sound when the computer is turned on. Any idea what it could be? A lot of the threads I've found where people have similar problems end up being inconclusive. I'd appreciate all the help I can get with this.

-Ryan

Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums ;)
We could use a little more info on your model, and version of OSX.

SM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.